PDA

View Full Version : 6.5NA Injector Pump in a 6.5 TD?

TanM998
08-19-2004, 12:39
I know this is more a 6.5 question, I posted there and it was suggested to post here... so here it goes...

Can one put a naturally asperated injector pump from a 6.5NA (or even 6.2) and put that on a Turbo equpt engine? Or vice versa, change the NA to have a turbo and have it mechanically controled at the injector pump?

Also, what are the differences for the Turbos (specifically for the G Van or Hummer applications) from the naturally asperated...

My best guesses are...
Injector Pump
Intake Manifolds
Exhaust Manifolds
Heads (but whats different here I don't know)
misc small stuff like sensors etc...

I would like to take an existing setup, i.e. a turbo setup from a 6.5 (Hummer or G-van) and put a mechanically conrtolled pump in there to get away with serious mods on my NA truck... I don't want to get into making my own turbo setup as some have done quite well on this board... I just don't have the time nor paitience to do that right now...

Thanks in advance!

Scott
'85 Tan M998 W/CTIS

dieselhumvee
08-21-2004, 19:37
Scott,

I am on the HML as radioengineer, and have looked into this pretty extensively in the past. I emaled Jamie Avant of the diesel depot a while back and got some info from him. basically your 6.2 NA block won't have the 2 holes drilled and tapped for the center mount (hummer/G-van)turbo. If it weren't for these two bolt holes, the rest of the parts (heads, 3 piece intake, exhuast manifolds, turbo) would bolt right on. To use a G-van/hummer turbo you have to have the hummer/van heads, the intake bolt holes are angled differently.

With some fabricating skills, you could figure out a way to make a mount to adapt the turbo to a stock NA block.

the newer blocks all have the center mount bolt holes, both NA and TD have them now, I don't know what year this changed.

As for the mechanical pump on a turbo engine, yes it is easy to do, just mathc the injectors and lines to the pump you are using.

The best setup in a hummer IMHO, would be a center mount turbo with a heath turbomaster mechanical wastegate and a DB2 4911 turbo pump (from a 93 6.5 TD chevy truck). This pump was only used for one year and is the only mechanical injection pump used with a TD in a chevy.

There is no reason you have to use electronics just to have a turbo in a hummer, but the NA injection pumps won't put out as much fuel as the 4911.

Here s the email from jamie:
Tony,
Hello and thanks for your inquiry. I'm familiar with the differences in the 6.5L center turbo engines for Hummers and vans. We do have a few almost complete rear turbo kits, plus I have remanufactured rear turbo cyinder heads. In the kits I have most of the major components (i.e. turbo, exhaust manifolds, & intake manifolds). Also, if you do not already have your 4911 pump, turbo injectors, gaskets, head bolts, etc... I have these available as well. I'll list the cost of each below for you.

1. Turbo Kit: $1150
2. Re-man Cylinder Heads: $375 per head exchange (or add a $175 core charge)
3. Re-man 4911 Injector Pump: $495 exchange (or add a $275 core charge)
4. 6.5L Turbo Injectors (new): $300 per set w/ install kit
5. Head Gasket Set (fel-pro): $48
6. Head Bolts: $45
7. Intake Gasket Kit (pump installation kit): $24

I hope that this is the information that you are looking for, but please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, if you'd like a shipping rate quote send over your address. I look forward to the opportunity to help you.

Sincerely,
Jamie Avant
Diesel Depot
478-552-9510

TanM998
08-23-2004, 06:42
Thanks for the info, its good to know about the intake holes... I knew that the 6.5NA pump pushes more fuel then the 6.2NA pump, but was unaware that the TD pump moves even MORE fuel then the NA, quite interesting.

Adding electronics can just be a HUGE PIA, as I would also need to get a new throttle pedal and everything...

Scott

john8662
08-23-2004, 12:46
TanM998,

Actually you don't need a 6.5 turbo Diesel injection pump, You can use your 6.2 pump and just turn up the juice. There is a fuel metering screw inside the pump that can be adjusted when you install a turbo. This is done when people buy aftermarket banks turbo units for 6.2 powered trucks and suv's.

But in the end, the 6.5 mechanical injection pumps will flow more fuel. This is for several reasons, the pump has a larger piston-plunger, and the lines from the pump have a larger I/D than the 6.2 Lines. It all depends on how much power you want with the turbo. I would think that you could get 190Hp at the flywheel with the turbo'ed 6.2 and 6.2 pump.

Another alternative to finding a costly DB2-4911 injection pump found on 92-93 model C/K trucks only is using a later model 6.5 NA pump like you were looking for. A DB2831-5436, basically 5436 6.5 NA pump with the corrusponding lines. Then you could turn up the fuel on this pump to the flow rates of the 4911 and have the same benefits that the 4911 has. The stock 5436 pump mounted on a HD 6.5 naturally aspirated engine is 170HP already! verses 155 for a stock J series 6.2, little more fuel.

I don't know how you would mount the turbo though, but looking at the above quoted prices for the turbo stuff, I would want to contact Banks and see what they have to offer for a turbo kit, verses getting a GM center mount turbo/head setup.

[ 08-23-2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]

JeepSJ
08-23-2004, 19:22
Banks will cost roughly double the price that Jamie is asking...IF they even have a center mounted kit.

john8662
08-23-2004, 19:59
JeepSJ,

Here is an older post that has some pics of a banks turbo kit on a hummer. I don't know if this was adapted or not, it looks like a tight and clean installation. Its not a center mounted installation, more of the location and height similar to a 6.5TD civilian truck.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002518