PDA

View Full Version : Position of Pyrometer on Banks Unit

David Kruger
11-03-2003, 10:08
I just purchased a cherry 84 suburban 4x4 w/ a new 6.5l Engine w/ a banks turbo and exhaust. The exhaust temp meter on the dash doesn't read any temp. Can anyone tell me where the pyrometer sending unit is located on the banks system? I found a small sensor on the back of the engine block passenger's side. Connector was loose, so reattached, and still no reading.
Thanks for your answers.

john8662
11-03-2003, 10:46
On a banks kit the pyro sender is mounted in the passenger turbo side exaust manifold.

britannic
11-03-2003, 10:54
The pyrometer probe is installed under the turbo mounting flange on the passenger exhaust manifold. It can be hard to remove as it may hit the top of the frame rail before coming out all of the way. YMMV, but some gentle leverage under the manifold (too much could crack it) is all that is necessary to provide the necessary clearance.

If more is required, place a jack and some wood to spread the load under the oil pan, take up the slack and pop out the passenger side engine mount through bolt and then jack up the engine just enough to get the probe out.

The probe doesn't require any external power, it converts heat into electricity to power the EGT gauge. Make sure all of the connections are good and you have continuity. I haven't measured the output to see if it's volts or microvolts, but presumably if there isn't any output when the probe is heated it's bad - I'll let others chime in with a more exact answer.

catmandoo
11-03-2003, 19:03
i just pulled mine out and it comes up from the bottom under the turbo flange like brittanic says and it is hell to get to and i had to put some heat to the manifold around the probe to get it out if its an 85 you still have mechanical lift pump which doesn't help matters as ya can't see much up there anyway. if it has the clamp with heat shield on the crossover pipe to shield the lower hose take it off and you can see it better.the wires connect under some cloth type sleeves and will be up by the turbo pull this sleeve back and there should be a little nut and bolt on each take these loose first and push the wires down then pull down from the bottom as you don't want to twist these.i ended up having to use a crowfoot socket and you can only get like a 1/4 turn at a time. definatly check connections at the back of gauge and these wires first.also if the wires are hooked up backwards the needle will go down as it gets hotter instead of up.

David Kruger
11-04-2003, 04:10
I haven't had a chance to crawl under the unit. Drove it all day today traveling, and so was pretty hot last evening. Will do this AM. I want to thank both of you who responded to my request. You both are amazing in your description of how to remove or check. Shouldn't have any problems. If I do, I will get back to you. Thanks in advance. David K

SteveMc
11-06-2003, 19:12
My gauge quit working after I moved it to a better location. Took off the wires and recrimped. Then it worked. We are talking real low voltage here, so like catman said, check the gauge and wire out real good. Also the wire from the probe can chafe thru - check the jacket. I think mine is a solid wire and solid wire tends to break eaiser than stranded. Just go along and bend the wire slightly while looking for a knik in the wire that would indicate a brake.

SteveMc 87 Suburdan w/Banks Turbo