PDA

View Full Version : New project K-5 play toy

dieselcrawler
08-13-2004, 06:40
I'm getting a '83 K-5 blazer/jimmey with a 6.2L, 700R4 and NP208. Has about 108,000 miles on it, seems to run good. I plan to slide some 1 ton axles and 6" of lift under it, hack the fenders, bolt on some 39.5" boggers, and go play. I don't know much about the diffrences in the years, but I know the fuel filter system is diffrent than my '84 K-30, and thought the glow plug system was one that had some faults. The one on the truck seems to work ok, but I was hopeing someone on here could give me a heads up as to what to look for, warning signs and such, or if I sould just go for the manual glows with a switch on the dash. I also have a fuel filter system from a newer truck ('85 I think) that I could swap on, and I think I will, so I can use the same fuel filter on both trucks. I also plan to strip all emmission equip, and put on an intake from a "J" code motor. Anyone have any ideas/feedback? Thanks...
Greg

Subzilla
08-13-2004, 08:43
Congrats! I just did the same thing a month ago! My '83 has the 2 filter system and I don't think it is any big deal to replace the filters. Just make sure the new ones are full and you won't have any trouble restarting. No bleeding necessary. I've had the Sub for 8 years and have had zero trouble with the glow plug system other then replacing the glow plugs. I know the controller isn't cheap and I'm not sure what I would do if it breaks as far as replacing it. I might convert to the new system or just put in the momentary switch. I did add a switch in line with the relay just to avoid the additional cycling. After I start it with glow plugs, I turn the switch off and if the engine is warm, I won't even turn the plugs on to start it. My controller seems to automatically turn them on every time the engine is started. My '86 seems to be more sensitive to the engine temperature and will come on only when needed.

One other suggestion: put a good eyeball on the harmonic dampener rubber for deterioration. My new project (the '86) was not very far from imploding on itself; the rubber was deformed, cracked and the seam end was actually sticking out! Also, check the dampener pulley if it has one - same senario. I don't need no steenkin' broken crankshaft!

I've got the "j" intake coming to me next week! smile.gif

Have fun! smile.gif

dieselcrawler
08-15-2004, 21:36
That's a good sugjestion on the g/p system... a switch inline with the power going to the g/p relay. I brought the K-5 home tonight, and noticed the g/p's cycling on and off long after they wern't needed. The trans also seemed like it didn't want to down shift, are there adjustments on the 700r4, if so, where? I'll look at it tomorrow after work, I hope.

Greg

dieselcrawler
08-22-2004, 09:51
Time is getting short on the monster-fying the K-5. Hope to have it done to play with by Labor Day weekend. I got the front end out of it last night, as well as the Dana 60 out of the donor truck. Also pulled off the front clip, I have another one that already has hacked fenders. The ones that came on the K-5 are in nice shape, no reason to tear them up... Same story goes with the doors, I'll change them too.

I'm only going to have about 6" of lift on the K-5, but it's alot shorter than the long bed trucks I've had untill now. Does any one know if I'll have any rear drive shaft problems? I know I"ll have to shorten the rear shaft, and also put a diffrent yoke on it, to match the FF 14 bolt going in, but how bad are the angles gonna be? Just looking at it, I think it should be bearable.

What are the gear ratios of the TH-700R4? 1st gear in particular... seems nice and low!

Greg

waorth
08-22-2004, 12:58
Nice project Greg! :cool:

As for the TH-700:
1st is 3.06:1, so combined with the 2.61:1 gears of the NP208 this will be a nice trail rig.
Btw, what gears are the D60/14b axles?

For the settings on a TH-700 use the forum search. If I remember right, there's a throttle position switch with a somewhat tricky adjustment procedure.

A very interesting site is the forum of Colorado K5 (http://coloradok5.com/). Part of the forums are free, you just have to register.

Regards.Walter

dieselcrawler
08-22-2004, 18:05
Thanks for the TH-700R4 info... 3:1 first, that's great. I plan to test (abuse) this trans in the play truck (K-5) for a while, then swap it to the work truck, that REALLY needs both the lower first, as well as the OD. I just hope the 700R4 can handle lugging around the 8000 lbs of work truck when that happens. But in the meantime, it's gonna be great for crawling around.
The D60/14FF orig came out of my K-30 CUCV M1028, so they have posi/detroit's in them already, with 4.56 gears. When I put stock size tires on it and a utility bed, I put open 4.10 gears in the rear, and matched it with a D44 frontend. Does well, makes a great work truck, just needs more low gear, and OD. The D60/14FF lived under my gas truck for the past month and a half, and now will find a new home under the K-5. I have already widened the spring perches to match the 1/2 and 3/4 ton width on the 14FF, and all the frontend stuff just bolts in... it's great, these trucks are almost like playin' with Legos. (Geesh, I did lots of that back in the day... *Grin*)
I am going to have to do something about air flow... intake and exaust. The stock air cleaner system on a 'C' code motor... yikes. And the exaust system is about the size of a drinking straw.

Greg

G. Gearloose
08-23-2004, 02:52
I run D44HD and 14bolt FF

Didn't have trouble with the angles, but only did 4" lift...dropped the crossmember 1", and it rides smooth..and any speed

Got a driveshaft from a 3/4 ton pickup and had it shortened, instead of splicing yokes and such, and the extra diameter looks a lot beefier; else it looks like a toothpick turning a 10.5" ff.

I found one really needs to lengthen the front propshaft, even with a 4" lift. <dohh!~>

JeepSJ
08-23-2004, 07:12
With that much lift on a Blazer, you may need to go to a CV style rear shaft. Do a web search for Tom Woods Drive Shafts - this guy is a guru on building shafts for 4x4s, and his website has some great information. Also, that 700R4 may not be up to the task of spinning those tires. That is an early year trans, and that is when they got the reputation for being weak. I wouldn't plan on that trans living long, especially if you start upping the power of your engine. Sounds like a great project. I love that body style on the Blazer - good score.

dieselcrawler
08-25-2004, 22:45
I'm not to worried about needing a CV joint type shaft, nor a little vibration. 39.5" tires with no weights are gonna shake more than any drive shaft. The ol' K-5 is gonna see more woods crawling in low range, bounceing off trees and over creek banks, more than pounding pavement. However, when I swap the 700R4 to the work truck, I plan to rebuild it, if nothing less, just a trans kit you get from the parts store, and a new T.C. So far I have no power mods to eaither truck, but hope to turbo the work truck some time.

I got the front clip bolted down last night, and the frontend and springs/steering bolted in tonight. Front drive shaft seems to be ok, lenth should be just right. With the lift wanting a longer front shaft, and the D60 needing a shorter one, I think it's gonna work out just right. There also seems to be enough angle to the shaft to not bind on full droop. Still need brake lines...
I'll tear into the rearend next.

Greg

Dezman125
08-27-2004, 07:07
Hi Dieselcrawler
If you don't have a shop that can balance your mudders,try putting a couple of golf balls in each tire.
I use them in all my big truck tires,and had a guy with some old hummer tires on his suburban,that were to big for my balancer.It would shake so bad he couldn't go over 30mph.Two balls in each tire and he could drive as fast as he wanted without any tire shake.
I use 4 balls in my front tires,and three in each back tires on my big trucks,they all ride smooth on the highway.
have fun with the new toy smile.gif

dieselcrawler
08-29-2004, 18:28
Golf balls to ballance tires, huh? I'll admit, it sounds odd, but I'll give it a try! The tires actuly don't ride all that bad as they are. If I ever break them down again, I'll add the golf balls.
I got the rear end out, and the 14FF in place. Found out that I need to raise the rear just a little bit, rear is sitting low. I made up some shackle flip brackets tonight, should space things just about right to get an adtional 2.5" to level things out the way they should be. I think I sould have it ready for Labor day weekend.

Greg

dieselcrawler
09-01-2004, 04:09
IT'S ROLLING! The shackle flip worked well, got the brakes bled, and took it for a drive last night. Also shortened a 3/4 ton rear drive shaft, had to grind the yokes a little to get it to clear. I hope to test drive it a little more tonight.
Greg

Ratau
09-02-2004, 21:21
Greg

Which way did you go with the shackle flip and did you keep the stock hanger brackets?

Danie

dieselcrawler
09-03-2004, 10:06
Danie,
I made my own brackets for the shackle flip, as I didn't want too much lift, only needed about 2.5" more than I had. I have 6" springs on the front, and with the springs I put on the rear, I still needed 2.5" to make it sit level. I moved the shackle mounting point to the front about .75", and it is about 1.5" below the bottom of the frame. Moving it to the front helps put the shackle in it's optimum position for the most travel. If I were to do it again, I'd go for a full inch to the front. I made a set for the K-30 about a year and a half ago, they are working great.
I'll post some pictures if I get the chance.
Greg

dieselcrawler
09-07-2004, 10:53
Wow, what a weekend...
The ol' K-5 did fine, no problems. I'm not much for dumpin' my trucks in the mud, but I do like pullin' out the goofballs who do. And I like to climb on things, both of which the K-5 did well. Meny a creek bank was attacked, and a few stuck trucks were un-stucked. I found that I need to tune the brakes a little, pedal is a little soft, and the front drive shaft rubs the cross member on full droop. I also wish the trans shifted a little diffrently. Doesn't want to shift out of 1st on full throttle, have to let off about half, then it shifts up to 2nd, then I can get back into it, and it won't down shift.
All in all, I like the new toy. Nice and short, turns around on a dime! Great for trail rides in the woods, around trees and rocks, etc. I'm posting some pictures, check them out from the link in my sig line.

Greg