PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Help

4x4Dreamer
08-03-2004, 16:58
Okay, I recently replaced my injector pump after the truck sat for over a year, and it ran great. Took it out for a nice 20 mile spin, life was good. I didn't even have to touch the timing as far as I could tell.

So tonight, I figure I'll start the flush of the radiator because only God knows the PO did it last. So I drain the old stuff and pour two flush kits in. Then I fire it up to take it for a short spin to make sure the system is full (after I burped it and everything) and it dies 20 feet up the street. It surged, then just died.

I crank it for a while and it comes back to life and lets me go around the block and back home. I get out and the radiator is leaking (problem 1)

Now, when I start it, it runs okay, then sputters and dies.

could it be that the year old fuel has clogged my fuel filters and that's the problem, or am I looking at a lift pump replacement? I don't think the idle is too low cuz it ran so well yesterday.

So, the fuel thing is question 1.
Where to get my rad recored or replaced with something better (as cheap as possible of course) is question 2.

Thanks in advance.

TimK
08-05-2004, 06:18
The number one rule you will see in just about any diesel repair manual, is if your are having problems with the engine running, the first thing you do is replace the fuel filter(s). If the truck has been sitting for a long time in a humid environment, it can collect water and even grow fungus.

I believe you 83' has two filters on it. There should be a large round filter attached to the firewall with a petcock on the bottom of it and another smaller filter on the back side of the intake manifold. Open the petcock and and drain the fuel into a clear glass jar. The fuel should be a nice and clear with a slight tinge of yellow (or light green depending on the lighting).

I am not aware of a cheap replacement for the 6.2L radiator. You will probably have to find a reliable radiator repair company. In the Portland Oregon area I would recommend Mac's radiator repiar, but I can see you are down in FLA and this piece of advise will not help you.

TimK

4x4Dreamer
08-05-2004, 08:09
I plan on replacing the fuel filters, but am also going to check the fuel return line for air bubbles. Maybe I'm getting air in the system somewhere.

I may also drain the tank and see if I can get it cleaned (i thought I'd heard of places acid washing tanks or something like that).

Advance/Discount auto wants $350 for a new radiator. I found Radiator Doctor wants $309 for a new one with a lifetime warranty. They also put them up on ebay for 269 plus shipping ($15.00) so that's probably where I'll go. Going to drop in a new RobertShaw at the same time.

I'll let you know what I find.

jcomp
08-05-2004, 14:53
Here's my general diesel troubleshooting process...

Symptom:
Engine does something strange.

Corrective Action:
1. Replace both fuel filters.
2. Do other stuff.

So far, step 1 has fixed it almost every time.

Your old fuel may be full of bacteria. My truck sat for 6 months during the winter here (freaking cold) and I had a serious bacteria problem when I got it running again. By serious, I mean that my primary filter was full of slime. So, look inside your primary when you change it. :D

4x4Dreamer
08-05-2004, 16:46
do you think I should drain the tank? I put diesel Kleen in it...I don't know if that would help or not. But should I just empty it out, change the filters and go from there?

jcomp
08-05-2004, 17:45
Your problem may not even be bad fuel after all. Did you replace the filters when you installed the new IP? Did you check all the rubber parts of your fuel line for leaks? Also check your return lines for kinks. You could try changing the filters and see how long until they get plugged up again. When you replace your filters you can also check your lift pump's output when you prime the system.

If you decide to drain the tank, there is a small valve over the passenger side rear tire for draining water out of the tank. Attach a hose, open the valve and start siphoning.