PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft dampener pulley

Subzilla
08-02-2004, 07:14
Greetings,
In replacing my harmonic dampener on my '86, a close inspection of the crankshaft dampener pulley reveals some slight age/stress cracking in the rubber, probably original with 235k miles. I couldn't find the DP article concerning these items but I think I recall that it is just as vital to replace this as it is to replace the harmonic dampener. My only hesitation is the price - $180. I know that replacing this will help to elimate the potential catastrophic crankshaft failure and I will probably fork out the bucks but I just want to be sure this is needed. Just want to do the right thing!

Dvldog 8793
08-02-2004, 07:37
Howdy
I have a harmonic balancer NIB for a newer 6.5. I don't know if they are the same but I no longer need it as I just invested :mad: in a new long block! If it will work for you let me know and can work out a deal....
L8r
Conley

Subzilla
08-02-2004, 09:17
Thanks Conley but I already have the new harmonic dampener! Just trying to decide if I should purchase the pulley.

Dvldog 8793
08-02-2004, 10:50
IMHO- I would replace it now VS. down the road sometime. :mad:
The way things work for me, I would have less then 100miles on putting everything together and then I would have to replace it! :D
Good luck and sorry I couldn't help out!
L8r
Conley Janssen
USMC 87-93

kconnair
08-02-2004, 11:58
Just did both on my '86 Suburban. Thought it was the balancer, but the outer ring of the pulley assembly had completely delaminated from the inner hub portion. Made an absolutely awful sound at idle, but went away under speed/load. I paid less than 180, but I got mine from one of the Diesel page vendors, not a dealer. Can't recall what the exact cost was. At the same time, I replaced the timing chain and gears & cleaned up the front of the engine.

Just a good idea to replace both.

By the way my '84 has a stamped steel pulley assembly - as does another of my spare engines. -Weird. :confused:

Subzilla
08-02-2004, 12:11
Yep, my '83 also has the stamped steel pulley. I think they started the dampener pulley in 1985. I'll check with some of the DP vendors.

I agree, do it now rather then on the side of road in nowhereville or in the nowhereville garage.

Thanks!

catmandoo
08-02-2004, 16:18
i just experienced a problem with my dampener pulley,i developed a weird vibration setting at a stoplite one day,it would vibrate thru the steering wheel for about 2 seconds then quit for 2 seconds,then do it again,when i got home checked the pulley and sure enough it had broke loose,so beings it was off it got a new balancer and t-chain.

84 C2B2
08-02-2004, 20:49
Try these folks out in this post. I just bought a whole lot of stuff and got a great deal. Anything over $100.00 is free shipping and overall 34% savings. With GMPARTSDIRECT you get up to 50% off but add 20% back for shipping and handling. http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006563#000000

Jerry

Subzilla
08-03-2004, 04:13
Thanks Jerry! I agree with you, those folks are great to work with and that's where I now purchase all of my GM parts. The $180 price quote comes from them - retail is $270!

wthif
08-03-2004, 07:20
There is also one for sale in the Classified Ads, just click the link at the top of the page and then go down to the parts section. I happen to know it is still for sale and I bet the seller would be willing to make some sort of deal with you. ;)

Subzilla
08-03-2004, 10:10
wthif, check your e-mail!