PDA

View Full Version : Wind shield wipers fail

Calvin 60
03-02-2004, 18:36
The wipers on my 98 6.5 will operate for short time then fail. If I put them on delay they seem to operate OK. Is anyone having the same problem and if so what is the fix?

gmenor
03-02-2004, 18:55
I believe there is a recall on the windshield wiper module. I know it has been posted on this forum. Also, the soldering was bad and causes this problem, unfortunately I had already replaced the module after the recall was announced.

charliepeterson
03-02-2004, 19:24
Just pull the plug off the wiper motor and remove three torx screws. After the front cover is off turn the board over and resolder all five points on the board connected to where the harness connects. Your done.

If you look at the solder points with a magnifying glass you might see rings around the points, this is where the cracks are and when they get wet they stop working. That's real BAD.

MTTwister
03-03-2004, 08:30
There was a recall on the wiper circuit boards. If it's handier have them fix it.

When I left mine for fixin', I finally got them to admit that the IP needed replacing under extended warranty. fortunately, I was out of town, and didn't need the truck. ( that analysis took them 2 years , started with the cruise dropping out complaint, and the occassional 'miss' going down the road.)

Anyway back to reality- there is a recall on the wiper...

Calvin 60
03-03-2004, 11:44
Chevrolet says that the recall for the wiper motor/board replacement ended with the 97 model.

More Power
03-03-2004, 14:05
You can go here to read more about it.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/wiperrecall.htm

VinDiesel
03-11-2004, 07:05
Thanks for the question and input re this subject. Had exactly the same problem in rainy Florida! Now know what to do.

TurboDiverArt
03-11-2004, 07:46
I just did this modification on my 1999 this past weekend. Very easy. Start to finish maybe an hour and that includes taking your time, cleaning the cover, soldering the connections and sealing it all back up again. I think 3 of the 5 connectors on the circuit board on mine showed visible cracks in the connection. Mine would work intermittently. Easy fix and worth doing. Much faster than taking into the dealership even if it is covered under warrantee.

Thanks to all for the suggestions,
Art.

JohnC
03-11-2004, 14:06
A few years back I was on a "business" trip to Mexico. One afternoon we hired a guy with a '96 suburban to drive us around. We got caught in a rain storm and he poped the hood, jumped out and hit the wiper motor with a mallet. I couldn't stop laughing for an hour...