PDA

View Full Version : Weather Pack Connections

MEdlin
06-28-2004, 05:32
Is it ok to use dielectric grease inside the large weather pack connections mounted behind the fuel filter? I've cleaned the connections using a spray contact cleaner like you would use on old TV tuners and controls. Should I now use dielectric grease before putting them back together?

tom.mcinerney
06-28-2004, 11:30
Many members swear by the procedure of packing the entire cavity with dielectric grease, since it'll exclude water.
I was shocked at how pristine clean my connectors were when i opened them all [all in engine compartment] at 175 K Mi. I wanted to be able to visually detect misalignment , bent/burnt contacts, etc. So i put aside the silicone dielectric grease, dabbed on a contact-enhancing fluid, and sprayed (hardware-store/automotive-grade) atomised silicone lubricant into the cavities just before refitting the connectors. I'm thinking this silicone-vapor atmosphere will exclude any atmospheric moisture.

Warm humid summer air trapped in a sealed connector cavity will condense droplets as weather cools, not good for contacts. Dielectric grease excludes water.

MEdlin
06-28-2004, 15:09
Tom, thanks for the input. I have 177,000 miles on my Suburban and all of my contacts were in good shape. I just could not find anything in my GM manuals that recommended using the dielectric grease. I just used a toothpick to lightly coat the contacts on each half of the connector. smile.gif