PDA

View Full Version : Tools for a '97

surfbeetle
06-27-2004, 21:11
I am 99% sure that the FSD on my 97 suburban is going out. Last time this happened, the dealer kept telling me that there were no trouble codes. I just got a new injection pump last August, it was covered under the 120,000 mile warranty. Now, the car is acting up again, but I am about 200 miles under the dealer's guarantee for 12 months or 12,000 miles from the time that the work was done and I am already over 120,000 miles. So if it doesn't set a trouble code within the next 200 miles, I will have to fix it myself. I can't afford to pay for the dealer to do it.
What kind of tools would I need to read the trouble codes from my '97? Also, what would I need to be able to set the timing on it as well? Does anyone have a recommendation or links to a webpage that sells them? Any help is greatly appreciated.

JohnC
06-28-2004, 13:24
Once you're past 120K you're on your own. the replacement part is only waranted for the balance of the original waranty. Had you paid to have it replaced, you'd get the 12/12000 waranty. (BFD...) A cooperative dealer has some lattitude in this area, however...

Any parts chain like autozone or Pep Boys should be able to read your codes

triggerman
06-28-2004, 14:00
Make sure your lift pump is working good. You need a Tech II to relearn a correct pump setting. Also it's possible you have a cloged injector from dirt getting into a injector line when the new pump was put on. This would show up as a rocking engine at idle.
Good Luck

surfbeetle
06-29-2004, 09:21
Well, it finally died, I had it towed back to the dealer. They have not had a chance to look at it yet. I post what's wrong once I know. The dealer's invoice from when the pump was replaced last year states that all work is covered for 12,000 miles or 12 months and I had asked last time when the pump was replaced and was told the same even though it would be past 120,000. So I will have to wait and see what happens.

surfbeetle
07-15-2004, 09:51
It turns out that it was the fuel injection pump. The GM warranty had run out, but the last pump replacement was less than 12,000 miles and less than 12 months ago,(that one was covered by the 120,000 warranty) so the dealer covered a new replacement pump. I didn't have to pay a dime, they even chipped in for part of the rental car. This pump #6 for this car.

tloomis
07-15-2004, 10:08
Surfbeetle, I don't know where you live but, buy your post name I am assuming California. Six pumps in 120,000 miles is quite excessive. I would suspect running on very low sulfur fuel and if so I hope you are using a Diesel Fuel additive to increase the lubricity of the fuel.

HowieE
07-15-2004, 11:20
If the pump failed without giving a code it is most likely the FSD. If the dealer is going to replace it indersome warranty ask them to remove the FSD from the new pump and hand it to you as a spare. If they will agree to this order an FSD and plate from Bill Heath and have the dealer install the plate outside the engine compartment, note mine on my site http://mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/
If they will not remote mount someone else FSD still order one and remote mount it yourself. The only problem with this approach is you lose the FSD on the pump because you can not get it out without removing the intake manifold
Have you realy had 6 pumps on that truck?
I also agree if you get a new pump start using a fuel additive to put back some of what Ralph N took out of you fuel.