PDA

View Full Version : coolant flush

piersbc
03-02-2004, 13:02
I'm planning to do a coolant flush...I have the green stuff. My question is how do I bleed the air out of the systme after I refill the radiator..which I assume I do by filling the overflow??? Also is there a "best" brand of green antifreeze to use? And is there a "best" brand of thermostat to use?

piersbc
03-04-2004, 10:03
Help...anyone?

roclongrider
03-04-2004, 10:56
Good afternoon,

I think most on the Page recommend the Robert Shaw thermostats.
As for bleeding the air out of the system, I've always refilled through the radiator cap until full and then started the engine to circulate and finish filling to capacity through the overflow tank.
Right or wrong? I don't know, but it's worked for 11 years and 300,000+ miles on my '93.
Barry Cole

MTTwister
03-04-2004, 10:56
Not the most knowledegable help - but hey, your blowing in the wind here.

On the Thermostat housing there should be a Brass screw fitting - use that to bleed the air.

Best Thermo-
RobertShaw or OEM (Delco?) - aftermakets have a sloppy opening and closing pattern, and don't flow as much coolant.

We assume that you're originally Green anti-freeze, or you might have a hell of a flush job ahead of you - evidently can't mix the 2 colors at all, it will really clog up the works.

If you're Dexcool ( orange) I'd stay with that, and use the anti-freeze prolong stuff mentioned in another thread. "Anti-freeze - must read. "

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005935

Good luck . ( edited for stinking spelling )

Beedee
03-04-2004, 11:11
Can't help you with what kind of antifreeze to use, (live up in the Great White North so have different brands) but make sure to put the deisel coolant additive in it if you are going to run the GREEN stuff, get the test strips and do it EVERY oil change. If you follow some of the other posts they talk about this, but I can't stress it enough to check with the proper strips for the additive you are using. I have seen a liner fail in a big cummins with 1000 hours on it because the owner never put the additive in. Cheap insurance.
Good luck smile.gif