PDA

View Full Version : BD computer caused overheating

rich58
06-26-2004, 14:45
I use my 97 RV Safari Trek for business travel in the southeast and have a overheating problem whenever I give the 6.5L turbo any throttle. Last year during the winter I traded computers with BD Power at a cost of $550. The change drove up my emgine temp from a cool running mark on the engine temp gage to 210 degrees at a slow 58-60 mph ( Not towing ). For every mph over that speed the engine temp goes up. The guys at BD Power were no help at all, they could not tell me what changes were made with the exchanged computer. They also said that it must be my engine t-stat or exhaust. Wrong on both accounts. Does anybody where I can get another stock computer for a fair price?

computer monkey
06-26-2004, 20:26
Try Bill Heath at Heathdiesel.com. I am using his version 2 on my 98 Suburban. Have a lot lower temps then stock.

Turbine Doc
06-26-2004, 22:06
If stock is all you want try a junk yard, I ran a junkyard 99 F engine PCM in my 98 S engine truck for a year and a half before I got Bill Heath's PCM, the junkyard PCM was $125, as a 99F HO it had more grunt than the 98S program but nothing like the Heath reflash.

But for the money the HEATH re-flash is the way to go, send him your BD for a core and get it re-flashed you won't be disappointed.

I had bad luck with BD's PCM & little help also; the one they sent would not learn theft code so it never would start. It was my fault according to BD as I wasn't doing the learn right. I sent it back took me 3 mos to get my core charge back.

I have since installed 5 different PCM's or re-flashed PCM's using same procedure I attempted with the BD PCM, never had a problem getting the theft deterrent learn to go.

Do you still have your stock PCM reinstall it to confirm your suspicions it's BD reflash caused.

Kennedy
06-27-2004, 07:33
What are the exhaust temps? Boost psi?

computer monkey
06-28-2004, 10:08
With 3:42 gears pulling over 7000lbs trailer that is 11.5 feet high. On a 80 degree day pulling level I get around 900 degrees pre tubro and 13psi boost.

http://www.n2outdrs.com/engine/rigweb.jpg