PDA

View Full Version : long cranking too much lucas??

Hubert
02-15-2005, 09:35
97 ~ 115,000 some odd miles. 5spd bone stock Orignial equipment IP FSD etc.

Recent new lift pump (last weekend) and fuel filter. I am having a slight shudder on launch varies with engine temp, ambient temp, and launch speed and fuel pedal. From other posts and comments else where I think its the fuel solenoid sticking / having problems metering fuel at low rpms. No SES light; runs great otherwise no stumbles, stalls etc. Will run up every gear to ~ 3200 rpm will run ~ 90 mph and seems normal power level.

Just recently a few start ups its half started and the starter had to spin 5-7 seconds & kinda coughs then takes a little while to clear up and smokes greyish color and I don't see any afterglow wiat to start light. Outside temps have ranged from 30F to high 50F. If it has not sat more than 4 hours it starts right up. This morning I quit on the starter after 3 secs it just sounded like it wasn't going to fire right off. I turned key off waited 5 sec then tried again it was a short glow about 2 seconds (outside low 40F the first glow was maybe 4 seconds approx.) but fired right up ~ 2-3 seconds on the starter and did not smoke much and cleared quickly (no afterglow but it was ~ 40's F).

I was a little pour happy with the Lucas fuel treatment last tank fill up. That seems to help on the shudder. Could that cause a hard starting or is it signs of IP age and/or glow plugs, GP controlller, or a little air? I haven't checked the resistance of the glow plugs yet either (haven't had the time or help).

Just wanted opinions on too much additive and since I can't stop to work on it right now what is my best course of action if it doesn't start.

Thanks
Hue

rjwest
02-15-2005, 11:09
Check batteries, cables, cable connections. etc.

Need the cranking speed, You never now it's cranking to slow untill you rejunivate the starting system, Than WOW.

Hubert
02-15-2005, 12:52
Thanks yep I just forgot about that its spinning fast. When it tries to start and is sputtering its almost hard to say if its the starter cranking that fast or if its running that rough. The first time I touched the pedal and it started up and blew a lot of smoke. So I am not sure what was going on. Because the computer is suppose to control the fuel until it is running and I should not have influenced the fuel with my foot but it did so I want to say it was just running that rough and the starter was just riding along with the motor.

DmaxMaverick
02-15-2005, 13:51
Sounds like classic glow plug issues. Either it's not cycling long enough, or you have some gone south.

If when it finally does fire, it does a "burst" of RPM, it's probably the plugs. What happens is the cylinders are fueled for several turns, then enough heat is built up to fire, then all the fuel gets burned in a couple strokes. rrrrrrrrr---VrOOOOoom!....purrrrr. How's that for a mental picture?

If it starts rather slowly, and winds up to idle and doesn't high rev, it is too little fuel or air in the injector lines.

You also need to confirm that your lift pump is in fact operating (even though it's new). If it isn't, it could be bad out of the box, mis-wired, or OPS issues.

There are other possibilities, but you should start looking there.

rjwest
02-15-2005, 15:47
How about the FAST Idle / cold start. I think there was a post about some restriction in the return line
that prevented " Advance " and made hard starts.