PDA

View Full Version : Its alive!!!

markrinker
06-26-2004, 05:07
Truck #2 is alive and running on the '97 motor!

I am taking it for a test drive today, and having 285 rubber installed on all four corners.

Can't wait to hear the sound of a GM-8 through 3.5" exhaust!

99gmccrew
06-26-2004, 07:40
Nice work Mark! How lomg did it take to do the install? That's a major project.

markrinker
06-26-2004, 11:19
I pulled out the bad engine and transmission. A mechanic friend (who previously worked at the local GM dealership) did the reinstall, armed with my help in the form of information gleaned from here on the DP. While we were at it, a new version Heath chip, 3.5" exhaust, and pillar mount gauges were installed. He also welded up all the joints in the 'kit' exhaust. He had 44 hours total in the reinstall and mods in the project.

Can't believe how cool the new engine water temps run compared to the old setup. Haven't pulled anything yet, but acceleration is noticeably improved. It was amazing to get back in the cab and drive it with all the upgrades, on top of a newer, stronger motor and IP. I have never felt a 6.5 this strong, and it sounds really tough to boot.

Its at the shop getting 235/85R16 rubber as I write. I know, not the most 'cool' looking tires, but I'm looking for the best road/snow combination and this is what was recommended. I may beg or borrow a set of 285's (wider footprint) for the truck pull next month.

99gmccrew
06-26-2004, 12:16
I've been contemplating getting a new chip for my 1999 gmc. I've heard they come programmed from the factory already pretty good, So I'm not sure if I would get the benefit that an older model would get. I'm pretty happy with the way it's performing now, but there's always room for improvement. How much do the chips go for?

markrinker
06-26-2004, 13:41
I bought mine as part of a package - but I think its around $350.

Just got back with new 'shoes' on. Now comes the boat test. Full of fuel, it weighs 6800lbs and pulls really hard at 60-70mph due to the wind resistance. It put my stocker #1 truck in the dirt a few weeks ago, couldn't hold a constant 65mph into the wind, and sent the water temps soaring to about 230.

rjschoolcraft
06-26-2004, 14:09
99gmccrew,

The 94 and 95 trucks (OBDI) have removeable EPROM's (chips). The 96+ trucks (OBDII) do not. That involves reflashing the computer or exchange.

99gmccrew
06-26-2004, 17:30
RJ, do you think I would get a worthwhile benefit from reflashing? Your rig is one year older than mine, are the stock programs about the same? I saw that you have reflashed yours and cumulatively speaking have gotten some very impressive results. How would you say your reflashing would rank compared to all your mods?

99gmccrew
06-26-2004, 17:33
Oops, RJ I could have sworn your rig was a 98'.
Sorry about that.

markrinker
06-26-2004, 19:19
The 'boat test' went well. Noticeable difference in towing, doesn't seem to mind running 65-70mph which is faster than I am comfortable with that much boat rolling on four 14" wheels. (I think the small 14" wheels are another reason it tows so hard.)

Peak boost is 13-14lbs with your foot to the floor in second gear. Saw EGTs of around 900 after I stayed in the throttle hard, but they drop quickly once you get out of it.

My favorite thing is the new sound. The more its pulling, the more turbo whoosh that can be heard - even inside the cab. The downtube can be heard right behind the glovebox...too much fun!!!

99gmccrew
06-26-2004, 19:51
Congrats on the successful project! You must be excited. Thats alot of boost. Is that the stock turbo? With boost that high are you considering intercooling? smile.gif

markrinker
06-27-2004, 05:22
Very pleased with the results. Stock GM-8 turbo. Very spaced limited with the snowplow frame for air-to-air intercooling. Considering water injection systems, but most of the time up here in Minnesota, we have lots of cool air anyway. Might just learn to slow down a bit on hot days!