PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column Noise

JTodd
10-11-2004, 16:25
My '96 Suburban has developed a quirky noise in the steering column / control panel. The noise is the same as the turn signal indicator 'click'. It will happen mostly just after the turn signal has cancelled. The signal is no long blinking, nor is the panel indicator, but the click continues. It has gotten progressively worse, and now comes and goes on its own without the turn signal being used at all. In addition to this, I will occasionally get the same click, but so close together that the only way to describe it is resembling a rattle snake rattle. This happens mostly when own the brake, but very infrequently.

Any ideas?

catmandoo
10-11-2004, 17:00
mine has somewhat of the same thing on occasion when setting at a stop lite the brake pedal will develop a wierd pulse and clicking noise you describe,you can actually feel the pedal drop a little with every pulse and it's about flasher speed,but it won't do it all the time so as for what it is is beyond me.if you find out let us know because i'm sure there are others out there with the same thing!!!!

JTodd
11-11-2005, 04:22
Is there a relay that is responsible for the turn signal 'click'? The click is now on full time, except when the brake is applied. I checked the relay / fuse panel under the hood and the one at the door in the dash panel, and did not see anything for the turn signal. Where is that relay?

landrea
11-11-2005, 04:35
If I remember correctly it is under the center of the dash like behind the cigarette lighter in a metal or plastic clip.Might be a square relay I don't think it is round like we're used to seeing.good luck!

JTodd
11-13-2005, 07:34
Changed the relay, and the noise is still constant. I apparently have a short in a wire because one of the contacts is hot when the key is on and signal and hazard in the off position. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this area?

landrea
11-13-2005, 17:59
Only a guess but its probobly in the multi function (turn signal) switch,it has lots of tiny contacts in it and one is possibly shorting. :eek: