PDA

View Full Version : gear drive question

JeepSJ
06-24-2004, 18:51
I just installed my new gear drive. The lower chain sprocket is several inches wide - the balancer appears to hold it in place. The lower gear for the gear drive is not as wide, and there is a gap between the balancer and the gear. What keeps the lower gear in place? This is a used set that I got from Avant - did they forget to send a spacer or something?

gmctd
06-25-2004, 03:20
EFI engines require the Crank Position Sensor reluctor, a timing spacer, included in the Phazer timing set.
Mech inj gearsets do not include it.

For ease in adjusting inj pump timing, GearWrench has a flip-head ratchet box-open 15mm that does the trick.....

edited for content, to run in the time alloted, and to fit your screen width tongue.gif

[ 06-25-2004, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

Kennedy
06-25-2004, 07:59
If you have a mechanical injection gearset (less reluctor) you'll need to either run a MFI balancer, OR cut the reluctor off/build a spacer so that the combination of the crank gear plus spacer is equal to the EFI crank gear/reluctor assy...

Here's a keyboard pictorial:

EFI -- -|

MFI - --|

The MFI --| would indicate a longer snout on balancer

JeepSJ
06-28-2004, 09:51
Thanks for the replies. I talked to Jamie and he is sending the reluctor wheel. I had purchased a new balancer at the same time and he had meant to send the MFI style balancer. He is shipping overnight and he is paying for the shipping. Now I know why everyone says that he is great to work with.