PDA

View Full Version : what is considered normal boost

catmandoo
10-09-2004, 16:36
just got my autometer gauges mounted on my dash of my 94,used an old banks 3 gauge pod and customized it to fit above the center a/c ducts,so went to see how they worked and the pyro is alot more sensitive then the isspro banks unit,and the boost comes on more then my banks unit but say i lay my foot into it the boost jumps right up to about 6 lbs and levels off really hammering on it i saw maybe 8,shouldn't these get a little more boost then that,i have over 22 inchs of vac at the pump and at the diaphram,and just replaced the wastegate solinoid when i got it about 2 months ago.also while i had the upper intake off i egged out all the aluminum crap that gm convieniently put in the way,now she can inhale , now i just need to get rid of the downpipe and she can exhale.

izak
10-09-2004, 18:22
6#'s is about all I get out of the stock wastegate controller. I took off my TurboMaster last week when I sent the rig in to get the injection pump replaced under warranty. I'm trying to decide whether or not to put the TurboMaster back on. I had it giving me about 8 to 10#'s (you can tune it to give more).

rjschoolcraft
10-09-2004, 19:05
Your numbers sound about right for stock. The waste gate solenoid limits boost at the computer's command. With JK's chip and Boost controller, I run up to 18 psi sustained when towing and 13-14 psi on hard solo accelerations.

catmandoo
10-09-2004, 19:12
thanks,i just figured they should put out more then that.

DA BIG ONE
10-09-2004, 23:51
There is a MAP/Boost sensor on my motor 1999 that needs to he fooled so higher than stock boost levels can be run without code, or ecm cutting back on everything makin it run like crap.

After market devices to fool it can be had from vendors on this site.

MTTwister
10-10-2004, 09:24
Hey DA... smile.gif You can also make a Boost Fooler with a R/Shack resistor - I seen mine hit 13# in cruise going up HomeStake and a few other hills. No intercooler, so I 'chickened out' and backed off, but the Boost Sensor Can be Fooled (without codes, btw).

markrinker
10-10-2004, 14:50
I run 12psi (nominal) while towing with TurboMaster, seems to return lowest EGTs and best overall power. Boost spikes of 15+ (gauge pegged) under full throttle acceleration.

Too much oil consumption (blow-by) and ring stress with more boost than that, IMHO.

rjschoolcraft
10-10-2004, 19:20
Don't see it on my Suburban. On the trip out to the Pull-Off this summer, the wastegate bushing partially seized limiting my boost pressure to about 11 psi max. I saw increased egt and reduced power... significant. As I said, when towing my trailer, I now run between 15 and 18 psi sustained boost. When running in a head wind, it rarely drops below 15 psi. Grades pull in at 18 psi until the crest or down shift. The engine really likes it. Have seen no change in oil consumption or blow by.

moondoggie
10-11-2004, 07:35
Good Day!

Hey, ronniejoe, did you get that heavy-duty floor reinforcing plate installed under your footfeed? ;) I've said it before: With a few more mods, Ron's driving the Sub they should have been selling. Ron runs his pretty hard, & we should be able to.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

catmandoo
10-11-2004, 16:54
well thru time i'll get there,actually i need more milage then power right now,i bought this 3/4 2wd with the intended purpose of someday towing a 30 ft or so camper.it was sold new in miami and has no rear heat and lived it's life in georgia in the winters and south dakota in the summers,so it has no rust to speak of period,which i really like beings i'm from iowa and most things here over 8-10 years are showing their age.anyway,in my work i drive 1000-1200 miles a week so the more milage i get the more money i keep in my pocket,has anybody notice a milage increase with higher boost at lower rpm's???thats my main issue right now,i figure if i can get the boost up at a lower rpm i should theoretically get better milage. this runs empty pretty much all the time and if i do need to move a machine it's only maybe 300lbs worth of extra weight.i'm gonna add 3:42 next spring as when the plates expire at the end of this month it goes in storage for the winter.i'm just trying to get some things worked out so i'm ready next year.

dieselluver
10-11-2004, 17:20
My 94 that I used to have would hit a peak of 25# and would pull forever at 23#. I sold it, I was afraid it would scatter if I kept driving it.

Dieselluver

patrick m.
10-12-2004, 19:22
Originally posted by catmandoo:
well thru time i'll get there,actually i need more milage then power right now,i bought this 3/4 2wd with the intended purpose of someday towing a 30 ft or so camper.it was sold new in miami and has no rear heat and lived it's life in georgia in the winters and south dakota in the summers,so it has no rust to speak of period,which i really like beings i'm from iowa and most things here over 8-10 years are showing their age.anyway,in my work i drive 1000-1200 miles a week so the more milage i get the more money i keep in my pocket,has anybody notice a milage increase with higher boost at lower rpm's???thats my main issue right now,i figure if i can get the boost up at a lower rpm i should theoretically get better milage. this runs empty pretty much all the time and if i do need to move a machine it's only maybe 300lbs worth of extra weight.i'm gonna add 3:42 next spring as when the plates expire at the end of this month it goes in storage for the winter.i'm just trying to get some things worked out so i'm ready next year. My mileage went up with nearly every upgrade.
the problem is, its tough to keep my foot out of it ;)

catmandoo
10-13-2004, 04:04
boy i here ya talking there.