PDA

View Full Version : 4WD IFS 14 BOLT 9.25" RING?

DA BIG ONE
10-07-2004, 16:24
Still finding problems with my burb after my accident.

A whirring sound emits from my front diff which is the larger 14 bolt unit w/9.25" ring when in 4wd, I'm thinking gears and bearings were not set up properly when the case was replaced.

The ring and pinion were installed back in April when I went 4.10 to 3.42. The case had to be changed after my accident because the mount area on drivers side was cracked. Case is clam shell design so both sections are new.

I guess the first thing to check is the fluid, for metal, then fill w/synthetic until I get it fixed properly.

Do the axles fully disengage in 2wd, or?

Anything else I should be lookin for besides a good shop to fix it?

norm
10-07-2004, 18:02
Sorry you've got more issues.
The axles do turn in 2wd. (with their CV joints) The driver side turns all the way to the spider gears, while the passenger side is disconnected by the Central Axle Disconnect (proper term?) actuator. You can see that protruding from the side of the fixed axle housing on pass. side.
The ring and pinion (and driveshaft) do not turn in 2wd.
Sounds like a bearing issue to me.

DA BIG ONE
10-07-2004, 23:16
Originally posted by norm:
Sorry you've got more issues.
The axles do turn in 2wd. (with their CV joints) The driver side turns all the way to the spider gears, while the passenger side is disconnected by the Central Axle Disconnect (proper term?) actuator. You can see that protruding from the side of the fixed axle housing on pass. side.
The ring and pinion (and driveshaft) do not turn in 2wd.
Sounds like a bearing issue to me. Thanks for the input.