PDA

View Full Version : rebuild time

1bad383
10-06-2004, 13:19
Hi guys, it looks like rebuild time for my 95 6.5t. 218k on the clock, and is she tired. During routine tranny fluid change, I dicided to spin my flexplate around, just for kicks. No converter shield. I was able to spin the motor around by hand!! Not so good. needless to say, with the boost turned up a bit ;) , and towing there went the ring seal. Blow by city! Long story short, motor is comming out soon and I wanted to know from some of you guys that have torn them down in the past. What would have you done differently. Putting the lower comp pistons in, stabbing a 'hot'cam in. Anybody have any news on cams??? Basicly other than stock stuff, or even a few tricks that I may not have thought of. I am an experienced builder, build my own race motors ect. Thanks for the input!

tom.mcinerney
10-06-2004, 19:18
Do thorough check for cracked main webs in block before invest a lot in it.

schamp
10-09-2004, 04:11
You might want to check with Jamie Avant and see what he would charge to build you what you want and send it to you. You might not want to stay with the same block. I have heard that the blocks from 98 on were better. I have 233k on my 97 suburban and have talked with Jamie in depth about building exactly what I want. About 7,000.00 installed. You can save about a 1,000.00 doing the install yourself. I would think the warranty would still be good. When mine lays down for good, it will go to Jamie for a better than new engine built exactly for the way I use the suburban. Good luck

markrinker
10-09-2004, 04:29
I'll be more direct - don't put a dime into a tired 1995 block. (If you had seen the webs on my '95, you'd probably buy a F%rd!)

cruzer
10-10-2004, 07:03
I'd use either the 599 blk or the new blk. Port match the intake and head ports(intk & exh) and do Kennedy's Air mods.

Do a "search" on blks and any other mods you are considering. Talk to some of the vendors too.

Tear everything down and see where your at then run the #s on the various mods. Cooling was my #1
issue, then I decided, If I was going to do this more power was real close to cooling. Stk power sucks!!!

I didn't want to spend the xtra $ low comp pistons and still don't. If I had to do it over again, I would consider timing gears.

tom.mcinerney
10-11-2004, 19:35
1bad383--
Another option...JohnC is parting out his rig. His '93 engine only has 49,000 miles (about broken-in).
I think the '93 blocks were among best. see
http://members.aol.com/gmc65td/93gmc/
[probably listed in classified section, too].

JohnC
10-12-2004, 09:29
Originally posted by tom mac 95:
His '93 engine only has 49,000 miles (about broken-in).
50,700. I drove it till I wrecked it...

;(

john8662
10-12-2004, 11:13
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
I'll be more direct - don't put a dime into a tired 1995 block. (If you had seen the webs on my '95, you'd probably buy a F%rd!) I have to strongly disagree with that statement! the blocks used from 92-96 were the BEST blocks produced by GM (AMG blocks not included in this arguement).

The 92-95 model 6.5's were a step up from the previous 6.2 blocks made in the 80's as they had thicker main webs. The later 6.5 blocks made from 97 on till 99 were the weak links, they have the oil-sprayers in the block that WEAKEN the block. I'll take my chances on an old block than a weak one. The 599 block (92-96) is the better block in my opinion. The only advantage to a later block would be the bigger oil cooler line passages.

1bad383,

I wouldn't mess with a cam in these engines, from what I've read, no real advantages, just more duration, no room for more lift (which is what a hot cam really does). Ditto on checking the main webs for cracks, if you got em, you need another block.

Things for the list as upgrades:

-97/98 cooling mods
-97/98 air box
-Stud girldle Kit (keep from cracking mains)
-18:1 compression pistons (so you can turn up boost an fuel = Power
-Timing gear set, keeping the timing crisp, to keep power up!

Basically you see 97+ parts being installed, the cooling mods and better air filtration make the 98 engines better, not necessarily stronger! But not that they are bad.

[ 10-12-2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: john8662 ]