PDA

View Full Version : rear disc brakes?

dstoops
02-15-2005, 04:02
Thinking about installing rear disc brakes on my '95 k2500 (8 lug). Anybody done it? I looked at Stainless Steel Brakes web-site but didn't see a kit for my truck. Thanks

Alf
02-15-2005, 10:26
First thought, I wouldn't do it.
The trucks that come in for brake work almost always need pads and rotors on the rear end just as often as they need front end parts. Rear disks on pickups just dont last as long as good old drum brakes. I don't see any improvment brakeing power wise either,,,,
Parts prices always get a gasp from customers.
Just my .02

Scooby
02-16-2005, 03:14
Check out this site. They offer complete kits, or just brackets, and supply you with all the info as to what calipers to buy if you dont get everything from them. I am going to use them on a 14 bolt that I am building for my mud truck. I need self cleaning !! Drum shoes get ate up quick by sand !!

http://tsmmfg.com/

schamp
02-17-2005, 02:51
I put them on the rear of my 97 2500 suburban and as yet not worth the 1000.00 or so. Can't tell they are working or are back there. Replaced just about everything, hydroboost, master cyl, went with braided lines etc. The calipers have to be grinded on some to get them to fit. The emergency brake cable is a real problem to get on and to get it to work. After all of this I am looking at going with 15 inch rotors and much larger wheels. These things just don't stop well. My .02

Scooby
02-17-2005, 03:07
SHAMP--
What brand did you use ?? 1000.00 sounds high. I think the kits I saw were in the 200 range. Can get caliper sets at Autozone.

More Power
02-17-2005, 10:38
After having been involved in a rear disc conversion, I feel the best approach would be to swap in a disc brake equipped 8-lug rear axle from a newer vehicle. You should be able to locate one for somewhere in the $1K range.

In my case, I couldn't do that because the newer 9-1/2" semi-float disc brake equipped rear axles are all 8-lug, and I needed a 6-lug. So, I'm converting a drum brake rear axle to discs, but am using all GM disc brake components (1999-03 1500 series parts) along with a custom axle flange bracket to allow mounting the new disc backing plate. My final cost will be in the $700-800+ range for the brake conversion (depending on final fabrication costs).

Page 96 of the April 2005 issue of Four Wheeler magazine shows a disc brake kit produced by Dynatrac being installed on an '80's 8-lug Suburban axle. Visit them online at: www.dynatrac.com (http://www.dynatrac.com)

MP

[ 02-17-2005, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

schamp
02-19-2005, 04:30
I will need to go over to my garage and check the recipt and will post. I am now looking at putting 15 inch rotors on both front and back. Problem is with that you need 4 inches for cooling and that means either 19 or 20 inch wheels and tires. I can only imagine what that is going to do for ride quality. GM should have been made to recall these things for their lack of brakes. Another issue is if the hydra boost comes up with enough pressure in the first place.
We are talking custom brakes here. Somebody somewhere has got to have come up with good aftermarket brakes. You would think Brembo but when you check for the 2500 theres nothing. Thanks, Spencer

damork
02-19-2005, 20:38
I used Powerslots to upgrade my brakes over a year ago. Here's the site:

http://www.powerslot.com/

From what I understand, they start with Brembo rotors and do something with plating or heat treat. All I know is they work great and they offer rotors for 2500 series GM trucks as well. They recommend Hawk pads so I used the Hawk Superduty pads. For the rear I chose Raybestos Super Stop shoes (heavy duty - for emergency type use). I have over 20k on this setup and very satisfied.