PDA

View Full Version : New PMD only....

piersbc
10-05-2004, 12:49
My truck has been exhibiting pmd failure symptoms...took it to the dealer with 119,800 miles on it. There were no codes but he agreed to put a new PMD on it with a new intake gasket too for free under warranty. My question is should I be grateful or push for a new pump too?

DmaxMaverick
10-05-2004, 15:02
According to the warranty, the two parts are as one. Meaning the dealer does not replace a PMD, or pump separately under warranty. They must be replaced together. When they warranty the repair, Stanadyne ships a pump and PMD to them. If they just replaced the PMD, they did not perform the Stanadyne warranty service. They did, however, receive a pump, or the funds for one.

What it boils down to is, if they authorized a repair under bulletin 00064D, they should have replaced the pump and PMD. If they did not replace both, they did not perform the repair as described by the bulletin. If your work order shows that they performed the repair according to bulletin 00064D, and you did not get a new pump, that is fraud.

Their parts department lists, or stocks, the pump and PMD separately. The pump you should have received was provided, or funded, by Stanadyne, and will be sold to someone else, and the dealer will get the money.

I would suggest you return to the dealer and ask them what they did with the pump Stanadyne sent them. Tell them you want your pump that Stanadyne paid for, or the money for the pump and installation, retail, of course. The pump lists for about $1200, and installation is about $300 - $400.

piersbc
10-07-2004, 05:43
I called GM customer service and they called the dealership...the dealership told them that they usually just do the PMD...and GM said OK. I did have GM log my complaint. But now the question I have is when I went to pick the truck up I asked if they had transferred the resistor and they looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. They told me the new PMD should've came with all necessary parts. Is that true? Or do I need to go back and get my resitor out of the old PMD?

DmaxMaverick
10-07-2004, 09:57
The calibration resistor is matched to the pump, not the PMD. They should have installed the old resistor into the new PMD, or replaced it with the same value. The new PMD would have come with a resistor if it was shipped with a pump. Although the resistor is connected to the PMD, it is actually part of the pump. A PMD that ships solo should have no resistor. They have no way of knowing which one will be needed with your pump.

If they didn't put in a resistor, you will get the SES light soon, and the DTC (56, IIRC) will indicate a calibration resistor error. It only checks for the resistor about every 20-40 ignition cycles, unless it is forced. If they put in the wrong resistor, you may get a code if the value is off far enough.

Turbine Doc
10-07-2004, 12:24
Pull center plug on IP,try to start it, it won't start but will set a faulted IP code I forget which one, replace it, then it will start; and take it back to the dealer, they will see the code, they may reset it, keep doing it until they replace the IP like they were supposed to do in the 1st place.

Normally I'd not recommend this route as it borders on the un-ethical, but this is a well known problem to both GM and Stanadyne,and all they want to do is jack the consumer around, if they would just own up to their problem and fix it I might think differently about it.

jspringator
10-09-2004, 15:39
119,000 is a long time for a pump on a 95, assuming that is the original pump. If I could get a pump, I think I would. It is about time for a replacement; the issue is who pays. The newer ones are supposed to last longer. You have done VERY WELL geting this milage on a 95 pump.