PDA

View Full Version : 95 3500 hd missing and white smoke after start up

Govt issue
10-05-2004, 07:42
I am working on a 95 3500 HD 6.5 td elect. When you start up the truck it white smokes and misses for about 45 sec. then it clears up. It dosent matter how long you heat up the glow plugs. They are about a year old.

DmaxMaverick
10-05-2004, 08:04
Sounds like air is getting into the system after it sits a while. Could be injectors draining back. Try leaving the fuel cap loose overnight. This time of year, the temp swings cause more vacuum in the tank when it cools off. The cap may not be venting properly.

Could also be bad glow plug(s). I've had some fail in less than a year, and some bad right out of the box. What type of plugs do you have? My experience with Champion and Bosch plugs hasn't been better than about 50% success. Some of them would blow after the first use. They are also worse than AC 9G's when it comes to swelling and removal. Needless to say, I don't use them any more. If you replace them, use AC 60G's or JK Quick Heats. Using 60G's may require adjustment of your glow timing. If you have manual glow, timing is not an issue.

Govt issue
10-05-2004, 08:23
This is a truck at work so i will pull the history after lunch to see what type of plugs are in it. What type would you recomend for my stock 96 k 2500 sub. I live in Mississippi. The coldest it got last year that I can remember is around 12 deg. I havent changed them yet. I have owned the truck for a little over 2 years. 226600 miles.

Govt issue
10-05-2004, 08:35
I just checked Ac 60 G