PDA

View Full Version : AMSOil Bypass Filter set up

Barra
03-05-2004, 16:39
Greetings!

I've been thinking of putting a remote oil filter set up on the truck, mostly because changing the oil is a ghastly mess with the location of the oil filter. (And a pain in the tail when the filter does not cooperate.)

My question is really one of economics. Is it worth it in terms of savings from oil changes to go with the AMSOil bypass filtration set up (and oil sampling) and reduce the number of changes?

Any info on the bypass set up would be greatly appreciated. I'm particularly interested in how long you go between oil changes and the cost of doing the servicing.

Thanks much!

LanduytG
03-06-2004, 04:27
Barra
What mods have you done to the truck ie;injectors, chip, etc. ? These things all play into how long you can go between changes. With my old motor with injectors and chip all I could go was about 7500 miles. At that time I would change oil and full flow fitler. With my new motor which still has Delo 400 in it for breack in, I can tell already that I will be able to go much much longer. Of course you will need to do a few oil analysis to determine just what you can do. Also I am not looking at the cost near as much as what it will do for the life of the motor. It really all boils down to what you want. You will get many different opinions on this subject.

Greg

Barra
03-06-2004, 10:38
No mods (yet). I'm considering putting in the FSD cooler and probably also the kennedy exhaust system. Also gauges.

rjwest
03-06-2004, 12:17
I installed a remote DUAl oil filter.
Adds 2 qts with big napa filters,

Love to change oil now, ( 4x4 )

Also figure i can go longer between changes.

Got my parts from Perma Cool, The Heavy duty
Parts with BIG fittings....

LanduytG
03-06-2004, 12:57
With the large filters on the dual remote and adding a custom built oil pan, I now hold about 15 quart. Sure runs cooler on oil temo now.

Greg

Hubert
05-23-2005, 19:11
rjwest,

Which permacool adapter did you use? The permacool site looks like they are kind of universal fit. Are the hose connections just hose, barb and hose clamp? Did you mount it to the block or use the 90 deg factory mount like the stock filter? I also need to fix oil cooler lines how much clearance did the permacool unit leave? I've read some have to trim the amsoil adapter.

javadog
05-24-2005, 15:05
Can some of you post some pictures of where you have mounted your dual remotes? I haven't come up with an ideal spot on my 6.5. I am concerned about the
pressure and flow reductions with long hoses.
Which NAPA filters are you using? Are these the best for this application? I thought the bypass filter was supposed to be finer to get the smaller
particles- down to around 10 microns.

LanduytG
05-24-2005, 16:16
Mount it right on the frame on the drivers side where the frame is still enclosed. You use less the than 18 inches of hose.

Greg

Hansh
05-24-2005, 18:21
I mounted mine up on the left fenderwell next to the battery.