PDA

View Full Version : No Start - The Mystery Deepens

Cowracer
01-27-2005, 05:03
From the continuing "No-Start" saga:

To recap, the truck would not start after work a week ago Monday (very cold, no place to plug in). I have replaced both batteries and the starter (it seemed to be cranking slow), and managed to really bung up the Crank Position Sensor, so I had to replace that, but ran into trouble.

we now join the story, in progress...

I finally got the steenkin' crank position sensor out of the block. A long deck screw and a short prybar did the trick. With the old crank sensor in place but disconnected, the truck would crank but have absolutly NO signs of life.

With the new crank sensor in place, I get an occasional chuff out of it. BUT! It cranks like a gasser with the timing advanced too far. Kinda sounds like its having trouble cranking.

I know its not fuel related, i have good fuel into the inlet of the injection pump. The glow plugs are suspect and new ones are in the mail from Kennedy right now. The glow cycle appears normal, and there is a voltage drop while the plugs are on, not to mention that each one tests good to ground, but I figure I might as well replace them anyway.

The only trouble code in the truck was a 62 (boost sensor low) because I managed to accidently disconnect the MAP sensor.

I hesitate to replace the PMD because A) its remotly mounted, and B) I never died at all, until now. This is not the Classic PMD failure mode.

So I guess my questions are:

#1 Is there a simple way to determing if I jumped time, or perhaps if the timing chain broke?

#2 Where in the hell is the glow plug relay?

#3 Where is the best place to get just a PMD module?

#4 Anyone want to come to St. Louis and help wrench on a truck?

Thanks!
Tim

rjschoolcraft
01-27-2005, 05:27
The glow plug relay should be at the left rear of the engine, mounted on a bracket. If your glow plug light comes on and you see a voltage drop, I would doubt that it is the relay.

rjwest
01-27-2005, 09:57
I had a remote mounted PMD die after only a few months. It happens, Easier to try a spare,
or an intermittent bad one, just to see if it the PMD..

Ask a Standyne dealer, they usually have a " suspect one " I have gotten 2 from them , free.....

Also could be the cable, plu it in right at the factory harness....

charliepeterson
01-27-2005, 19:41
Where you replaced the crank sensor you might have to do a TDC relearn now to make it run.

BUZZ
01-28-2005, 02:57
If you are running quick heat GP, you might use jumper cables to extend the glow time and see if that helps.