PDA

View Full Version : Well she finally gave up.

gkegel
01-25-2005, 01:13
My 97 6.5 Finally got where she would not start after stalling. She started out 2 months ago only stalling when hot after it had been shut down for 10-20 minutes and then after started back up she would stall after going about a block start right up and stall again in short order then start up and be good the rest of the day nomatter what i did. I has always started fine when cold.
Then it started stalling just driving down the road in the morning 5 minutes after starting it would stall and start right and stall again then start and be good the rest of the day.
But this old Gal Died today. and is in the shop.
No Codes showing. Started fine when cold ran 500 yards and died started up and did the same thing 6 more times Then would not start. The engine never didn't even warm up. After a 20 minute wait it started ran for 15 seconds and died went throught routine a few times and then would not start at all. I did pressure wash the engine a few days ago but it ran ok right after that. Yesterday the first day after the wash job it did sort of the same as today but then after 10 starts and stalls it started and ran great the rest of the day. I'm thinking electrical and something in the warm up mode just as it starts to warm up it dies now.
For quite awhile it has been keeping its cold engine rattle even when warm unless I really put my foot into it, then when I let up it rattles again. At least i found a shop that does mostly Diesel pickups of all makes. unlike the big GM shops that don't do anything but read codes and replace parts. I'll let you know what they find.

Kennedy
01-25-2005, 07:58
Sounds like a new PMD?FSD on an FSd cooler would take care of this and is a D-I-Y project. Dealer will likely condemn the pump and try to hit you for mid teens$$...

moondoggie
01-25-2005, 08:46
Good Day!

Unless you've got lots more money than I do, for heavens sake go to the member's area DP page. Click on "Solutions for 1994 or newer 6.5TD Stalling." It allows you to relatively easily eliminate stuff other than the FSD/PMD before buying one.

Personally, with your symptoms, I'd get hold of your preferred vendor (Kennedy or Heath) & buy a new FSD with their extension cable. I have Kennedy's on my pickup with the FSD mounted behind the drivers-side headlight, but Heath's sounds like a good way to go too. Your symptoms are CLASSIC FSD failure, which almost never throws a code.

(on edit) I replaced my first FSD 11 Oct 02 on my pickup, & have put > 45K miles on the IP (injection pump) since then. That's 45K miles that I wouldn't have gotten if I'd gone to a dealer or elsewhere where they would have replace the IP & coincidentally replaced the failed FSD that was really causing my problems.

Good Luck &...

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

Hye
01-25-2005, 10:13
About six months ago, I read here that one of the reasons PMD

wilpulu
01-25-2005, 19:11
Had the same problem....stalling with intermittent restarts. Bought new FSD and ran fine for about 6k miles. Started acting up again and decided to look at the nuts on the FSD. Sure enough they were loose. Grabbed the old FSD they were loose too. Tightened up the nuts on the old FSD threw it in the truck and it ran fine. Truck stalled one day about 10 months later. Checked the FSD, nuts were loose again!!! Locktited them with no problems since. After all this atleast I have a back-up FSD. I would recommend a remote mount also, takes 5 minutes to check the FSD with the setup.

Hye
01-26-2005, 06:04
Didn't have any locktite, so I used some of the wife's fingernail polish. Since its now on my homemade "heatsink", it will be easy to check or replace. I may try adding a pentium processor heatsink to the flat plate for better cooling. I don't think the fan will be necessary.

gkegel
01-28-2005, 12:44
Ok well it is back from the shop $1050. later
Then did a bunch of tests and then came up with FSD.
They put on a new DSS-RMA-35976 IDM Module and
DSS-FSD-MOD IDM Heat Sink kit mounted to the manifold and say that will last forever. So far it is running fine no more stalls. But still Puffs Black smoke when I really stomp on it.

moondoggie
01-28-2005, 18:06
Good Day!

Be careful with a manifold-mounted FSD & cooler. My 1st replacement FSD was mounted this way & lasted 19 months & 38K miles. I mounted it's replacement behind the drivers-side headlight. I believe there may be a growing consensus that this, or Heath's location, are the best places to put the FSD & its cooler. Mounting it behind the drivers-side headlight puts the battery between it & underhood engine heat, & in the airstream coming through the grill & the holes in the sheet metal between the headlight & the battery.

Let us know how threadlocking the hex nuts works. Some feel that the nuts don't vibrate loose, they get loose because the material under them collapses over time, which is made worse by underhood heat/cool cycles.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044