PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of upgrading To Duramax

gkegel
01-20-2005, 13:44
I'm on my 2nd 6.5 TD and thinking of moving up.
Are there as many problems with the Duramax as with the 6.5?
What should I look out for?
thinking of a 02-03 model

AndyL
01-20-2005, 15:12
The 01 to somewhere in 04 are basically the same, enough had injector problems they extended the warranty, this was the LB7 engine. The newer LLYs have many upgrades and I would consider worth the wait or extra cash.

Other than that, IMO are much more reliable than the 6.5. Not to mention a 6.5 heavily modified is just up to stock D-max power.

I have never met a single person that wasn't impressed with the D-max, you won't be sorry. Keep driving your trusty 6.5 until you can afford a LLY, well worth the wait.

96ccdd
01-20-2005, 15:21
I had a 96 CC dulley that I purchased new. I used the truck just for towing and liked the truck the 6.5 left something to be desired but I got use to it. I had made the normal mods cooling, exhaust and such. Several guys at work who also had 6.5's had stepped up to the DMAX and tried to get me to drive them. I did not because if I did I knew I would want one. Well this past May I drove one and was hooked. I had looked at a 02 with 36k on it but was able to buy the same truck but a 04.5 for just about the same price. I would shop around. I am looking at buy a friend 96 2500 burb 6.5 td for my wife to use.

damork
01-20-2005, 18:26
I've started looking for a replacement for my 6.5 diesel. The Duramax has a pretty solid reputation, the only thing I have never confirmed is what the best fuel economy one can get from a Duramax. Maybe none of the big 3 can consistently get 21 or 22 mpg without significant mods which drives me to believe the GM is still the best option. I've heard the competition has either significant engine issues, are rough on tires and won't stay aligned, have weak transmissions, and in the end they just don't handle as good as the GM.

markrinker
01-21-2005, 05:04
I have driven all 3 dually diesels, and believe the Dmax has the best all around power, hauling/towing capacity, and interior amenitites.

The Cummins is simply too noisy and the overall truck is crude compared to the Chevrolet.

Powerstrokes are probably a better powerplant and the interior of the Fords is as nice or better than Chevy, but I don't trust Ford's transmissions, brakes and suspension over the long haul. Drive a Chevy Silverado with 185,000 miles and it will feel stock new if well maintained. A Ford with 185,000 (if you can find one) will be sloppy and worn out feeling.

Turbo Al
01-21-2005, 06:47
I think Andy L hit it right on the head. Don't get me wrong I really like my D-Max but the LLY is the way to go if you intend to keep it for the long haul. The only problem I have had is the NSBU switch on the trans but that's pretty minor when you look at the whole picture ($95 cdn), the injection issue does bother me because I don't drive as much as I use to and the extended warrenty will run out time wise long before I reach the mileage limit.
You will be happy with either power plant if you take the injection issue into consideration.
Al

Kennedy
01-21-2005, 11:47
Both of mine have been excellent. The LLY runs nice, but doesn't seem as receptive to "Play time" as the LB7 is...

gkegel
01-25-2005, 00:57
Thanks for the replies. I guess I better keep this old gal a few more year so I can afford a 2004.
But this old Gal Died today. and is in the shop.
No Codes showing. Started fine when cold ran 500 yards and died started up and did the same thing 6 more times Then would not start. The engine never did even warm up. After a 20 minute wait it started ran for 15 seconds and died went throught routine a few times and then would not start at all. I did pressure wash the engine a few days ago but it ran ok right after that. Yesterday the first day after the wash job it did sort of the same as today but then after 10 starts and stalls it started and ran great the rest of the day. I'm thinking electrical and something in the warm up mode just as it starts to warm up it dies now and for quite awhile it has been keeping its cold engine rattle even when warm unless I really put my foot into it, then when I let up it rattles again.