PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Virgin

ktobin
11-21-2003, 15:44
I just purhased a 95 6.5T P/U and got a question or two. The truck has 125000 miles mostily highway miles and i want to put the truck in top shape.
At what mileage should i consider changing the timing chain? Should i get the gear type i have
read about? How about the injectors and harmonic
balancer. Truck seems to running okay and gets about 18 miles / gallon. I am living in northern
Canada where temp. can get down to minus 40 which will be a good test for this diesel since it spent most of its life @ 0 degrees . Thanks!

turbovair
11-22-2003, 00:17
I did my timing chain @ 115,000 in conjunction with the 97-up cooling upgrade. It looked great with little wear. I changed it anyway since I was looking at it.Probably didnt even need to do it.My parts guy (GM) thought I was crazy. "We NEVER replace these" he said. When I got it apart I saw he was right.A lot of guys go with gears for added strength and more precise injection pump timing. I decided to save $200, bought a chain and a set of gages.I would bet the chain would go 200,000 miles.

richard7
11-22-2003, 10:39
As any newly acquired used vehicule, you have to review every system on it, unless you know the past owner and maintenance.

Harmonic balancer and crank belt pulley are a good preventive maintenance to do. I suggest you use a good synthetic engine oil (in 5W40 viscosity preferred) and some fuel additives in every tank (FPPF total power or Stanadyne performance formula) to improve low temperature reliability and behavior (your engine - and you - will like it).