PDA

View Full Version : Better Brakes

damork
11-21-2003, 07:42
A while back I started searching for an answer to improved brakes on my truck. I had many parts personnel make the comment that they had customers asking how to improve their 90's GM light truck brakes, as they felt the oem system was marginal. I don't tow much, but had pads worn and an unnamed local parts store botched a rotor refinishing job so I needed to do some upgrading. What I found was an eye opener.

My 95 has rotors on the front and rear drums. For pads and shoes I researched EPS, Pagid, Bendix, Wagner, Raybestos, Performance Friction, Hawk Performance, Carbotech, and Praise Dyno.

I ended up going with Superstop shoes from Raybestos and Hawk Superduty compound in the front pads. Not many options out there for drums, but I felt the $40-45 I paid for the shoes was reasonable. Praise Dyno was attractive from a technical viewpoint, but the rear kit was over $200.

The Hawk Superduty pads were installed along with Powerslot rotors. It appears that the Hawk Superduty, Performance Friction Z compound, and the Raybestos Brute Force pads were likely to be similar, and would all be good choices. The Powerslot folks recommend the Hawk pads, so that's why I chose them. Pads came from RaceShopper.com (talk to Edwin) and Powerslots came from www.brakewarehouse.com (http://www.brakewarehouse.com) (talk to Robert). Pads were about $60/set, rotors $200/set. My total cost was about $300 to the door, and I'm sure my stopping capability is similar to much higher priced packages.

When ordering - make sure the front rotors are shipped in pairs. My first set were mismatched as they used different castings from time to time. If you have a 1/2 ton Tahoe or Yukon with a diesel - order the pads and rotors for the gas version. Otherwise you will be grinding pads or returning them for the right ones to fit the caliper. Hawks catalog thinks all Tahoes/Yukons are 3/4 ton, and there is very little difference in the pads. The studs for the rotor are just long enough to allow full engagement of the nuts with the new rotors as the new rotors have a thicker hub.

I didn't do any high tech testing, but the results were nothing short of phenomenal. The amount of pedal force is reduced to do the same stopping as before. It seems like I could lock up the wheels if I wanted to.

A company named Carbotech is close to releasing a pad for use in SUV's/light trucks that claims to be even better than the Hawk/PF/Raybestos pads and gives good rotor life. The owner of the company says you will have to accept some noise (squeaks), but braking performance is great.

I don't have any problems with brake dust yet and from what I have learned, these pads are supposed to be quite rotor friendly.

GMCfourX4
11-21-2003, 08:12
In addition to the rear-disc conversion I did (which may or may not have made a huge improvement over my original drums, which were more than capable of locking up both rear wheels...) I also put on a braided stainless brake line kit and the Hawk pads/Powerslot rotors. I have always been happy with the way my truck stops, but 2 nights ago, I was doing ~75 on The Expressway, and a tractor-trailer cut into my lane doing 30mph... I stood on the brakes, the ABS did its thing, and I somehow managed to haul the beast down without eating the back of the trailer... I don't think the brakes are stronger than the tires are capable of holding.

-Chris

rjschoolcraft
11-21-2003, 08:19
GMCfourX4:

I'm not sure I understand your last statement.

If the ABS was working, that would indicate that the brakes had more stopping power than the tires could put to the pavement...so the brake line pressure had to be modulated to keep the wheels from skidding and you losing control.

curmudge1
11-25-2003, 12:28
I googled Powerslot rotors & checked their web site (powerslot.com) -- these look similar enough to the ones I got for my 6.5TD Blazer from appliedrotortechnology.com; ART cryo-stabilizes their rotors, though I sure don't know how much difference that makes. The ARTs came with Performance Friction pads, and they certainly did a better job stopping than factory pads & rotors!.

Question -- can the slotted rotors be machined? How, & who? I had to replace my ARTs with new, as the tire shop (good shop) said no one would machine them. ART guy said something about using a round bit instead of triangular???

schamp
11-26-2003, 04:10
I have the slotted rotors on my 97 suburban. Since it is a 3/4 ton (2500) the rotors SHOULD be turned after being put on. Even if new. Run out not to exceed 2/1000. I had trouble getting someone to turn my rotors on the suburban. Everyone wanted to take them off. They need to be turned while on the hub, if not then expect to do it again soon. When I did find someone who could turn them on the suburban they had no problem with them being slotted. I found a truck repair place in Columbus Ga. Good luck. Spencer

GMCfourX4
11-26-2003, 06:48
ronniejoe;
Must have been a brain fart :D I meant to say that I think my brakes have way more stopping power than the tires are capable of delivering.

-Chris

scooter
01-06-2004, 14:21
Now that it's been a couple of months since your post, what are your impressions of the rotors / pads? Still working well?

I noticed that there are "Power Slot" and "Power Stop" rotors, with about a $5 difference in price. Which one did you get?

I've got warped rotors that have been that way since I got my 96 Suburban 6.5L Turbo....need to fix em... Is there anything else I should check besides the rotor and pads?

MikeC
01-06-2004, 16:47
Good move Scooter :cool:

I have the same questions but forgot about this post.

Mike

Dvldog 8793
01-08-2004, 12:46
Howdy
Anybody have a source for the S.S. Brake lines?
Tried Brakewharehouse and they couldn't get them for my truck.
Thanks !!!!!!
L8r
Conley

damork
01-09-2004, 08:27
Scooter,
I have Power Slots and from what I learned searching and calling around was that the Power Slots were much preferred over most of the other options. The biggest issue I had was getting a matched set as they did make two styles at one time. At first I got a set from a company that drop shipped from two locations and they didn't match. I ended up with a drop ship from the factory and they are both machined.

They continue to work great and I only wish I would have done this the first time I needed pads.

Here are a couple of sites with info on brakes, I got my 8609PSL and 8609PSR rotors from Brakewarehouse for about $91 each.

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com
http://www.brakewarehouse.com

scooter
01-23-2004, 18:15
Damork,

Thanks for the update....I just ordered the powerslot rotors, and put in a quote request for the Hawk SuperDuty pads. Hopefully, next weekend, I'll be able to change the front brakes!!

Thanks for the advice. BTW: the cheapest shipping from brakewarehouse was $46 via UPS Ground to CA. YIKES! :eek: Total was about $222. But it'll be worth it to be safer and get rid of the shimmy on stops....

m-keith
01-27-2004, 21:03
Dvldog 8793- I ordered Goodridge ss lines for my 'burb from TireRack. They had them in stock.

GMCfourX4
01-29-2004, 12:12
I ordered the braided stainless lines from JEGS Jegs High Performance (http://www.jegs.com) If you call them, they have a braided stainless kit for our trucks... I had to order more generic braided lines for my rear disc conversion.

-Chris