PDA

View Full Version : Engine "gremlin" (loud rattle, no power, svc engine soon)

skyway9517
11-16-2003, 14:44
I've got a gremlin in the engine... My problem lies within this beast, '96 Silverado 1500 with stock original 6.5TD and 187K miles.

About a year ago (15K ago) I noticed that occasionally when I hit a bump on the road (expansion joint type or chatter bump), the service engine light would come on and the engine would rattle horribly!! Sometimes it would knock the cruise control offline, sometimes it wouldn't. After about three - five restarts, the "problem" would usually be gone :confused: .

I have taken it in to "Mr. Goodwrench" and my regular mechanic, the error code (multiple different times) showed that it was a bad EGR sensor, I have replaced it a couple of times now... The last time I had it in was about 2K miles ago, at that time all new filters were installed, new glow plugs, catalytic removed, and the intake was removed and cleaned, but to no avail. It is STILL occasionally doing it and now there is no ryme or reason to when it happens. This is making me crazy!! Please HELP!! Has anyone else ever had this "type" of problem????

Thanks!
Mike

patrick m.
11-16-2003, 14:48
if the code that sets is allways for the egr, disconnect it and see if problem goes away.

gmctd
11-17-2003, 04:39
Check the vacuum harness for deterioration - cracks, breaks, leaks, etc.
Then check the engine electrical harness for intermittent connections - remove, inspect and reconnect each connector for loose wires, corrosion, oxidation, etc.
Check engine grounding points for tight connections, frayed wires, etc.