PDA

View Full Version : Is the LF-3488 the Best? Where to buy?

AndyL
11-14-2003, 07:25
Title says it all.

Andy

twaddle
11-14-2003, 08:24
I've used Fleetguard products (and others)for years on both my trucks and equipment that I work on, never had any trouble.

I class them as being amongst the best.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland.

richard7
11-14-2003, 09:03
Fleetguard LF-3488 and Donaldson P166564 oil filters are the same. According to my study, they are made by Donaldson (filters companies are making deals to fullfill their coverage) with their "Synteq" media (100% synthetic).

The efficiency is 22 micron absolute (98.7%) and 10 micron nominal (50%). For me, they are still the best avalaible filters.

If you check, they don`t cross reference to the later model 6.5 engines because they don't have the anti-drainback valve like the newer filters are equipped (not very usefull, according to my experience).

I suggest you use the one that is less expensive. The Fleetguard can be had at Cummins dealers usually, and the Donaldson from truck parts places.

AndyL
11-14-2003, 09:20
Originally posted by richard7:
If you check, they don`t cross reference to the later model 6.5 engines because they don't have the anti-drainback valve like the newer filters are equipped (not very usefull, according to my experience).Are you saying the Anti-Drainback valve is not important or usefull? I am not saying you are wrong, just is opposite of my understanding.

richard7
11-14-2003, 14:53
The 6.2 and 6.5 engines up to the mid-90s were originally equipped and specified without the anti-drainback valve oil filters. This is why those filter numbers are still around for those engines... Did the engine change really?

This is the filters I am using since around 8 years, and the filter is full of oil when I replace it. I used filters with the anti-drainback valve (Amsoil), but the engine oil pressure always respond the same with no more, or less, oil pressure delay when starting.

The anti-drainback is there to prevent the oil of going back and leave an air space in the oil filter, allowing for a delay in oil pressure build-up at start-up of the engine.
Most anti-drainback valve do not seal tight and let the oil go, so...

My opinion and experience. Your mileage may vary. :D