PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Temperature Sensor

j7l2
11-13-2003, 12:48
FYI, just replaced my coolant temperature sensor in my 1995 Chev. excab, 2500, P/U, 6.5TD. GM part number is:15326386. Group.3.682. Cost was $16.99. We had a difficult time finding the part number, is why I am posting this info.
JimO

StephenA
11-15-2003, 06:39
Thanks JimO! Much appreciated.

Don Boland
11-17-2003, 08:49
Hmmm? I wrote a PN down from an earlier post. It was 10154649, so now I wonder which is which and if they are really different? I replaced mine with one from Knect's, I still have some funky start issues at times.

DB.

j7l2
11-17-2003, 10:58
Hello, the part number you have is for the earlier trucks and the vans. The wire connecter is different. The older truck unit has two male spades sticking out of it for the wires to connect to. The part I posted the number for has a plastic connecter with two pins recessed in it.It was listed for 1995 and newer trucks. Also the hex size is a bit larger on the earlier one. Hope this helps.
JimO

Bobbie Martin
11-17-2003, 11:44
There are actually 3 temperature sending units on the 6.5 diesels.
The DB2 mechanical injection pumps use a two pronged sensor (10154649) at the back of the RH cyl head to activate the HPCA cold start on the injection pump.
The electronic pump PCM use the plastic connector sending unit (15326386) in the thermostat crossover. This tells the computer the truck temp.
There is another sending unit at the front of the RH cyl head for the temperature gauge.
Hope this helps!

cruzer
11-18-2003, 10:12
This subject is a mystery to me. My 92 mech inj does not have a sensor in the back of the right head. The sensor in the crossover is 2 pronged and operates the cold advance and the fast idle sol. on 1 side and power is supplied on the other. I've read a past post where someone else has a 92 w/the same set up. From reading the 1999 Feature Aricle book the sensor in the right head is a glow plug inhibit switch which turns off the glow system when warm and was used on something like the 1985 6.2. I don't have the book in front of me now so my date may be wrong. My cold & warm starts work properly. Glows when cold w/timing adv and fast idle and no glow when it's warmed up. I'm just curious, hows the glow plug system know it's warm when there is no sensor telling it so? The wire on Pin "C" on the controller is purplish(maybe brown) and goes into a connector and comes out orange on the other side then goes into the wiring harness. Where's it getting this info? Like I said "I'm just curious".