PDA

View Full Version : Custom Valve covers, oil press & EGT guage problems

TommyB
06-08-2005, 09:06
hi guys(& gals?)

I have a '92 6.5 TD with valve cover leaks. Have had it apart twice but it still keeps leaking. I used silicone but no help. Is there anyone who makes a set of billet aluminum valve covers for this engine? Also my oil pressure never seems to go above 45 psi even when the engine is cold. At hot idle it sits at about 20 psi but under throttle it never gets above 40 psi. Any Ideas? I also have a Banks EGT guage that always reads about 75 deg F, on or off, even in the winter(I'm talking -40 here). Is there any way to calibrate this guage? One more thing. Has anyone had any luck with the glow plug controller mods.(Jim Bigley, 2000 Feature Articles & Product Reviews). Specifically the problem with the glow plugs not cycling when the engine is hot. Will changing the second thermistor work? Hope this isn't to much for one string.
Thanks in advance G's & G's

P.S. What's with this water mist injection? Is it really better than an intercooler?

TJ Moose
06-08-2005, 11:05
My $.02 on oil pressure - is your sender going bad? I once had a 6.2 that showed great at start up and fell to zip as soon as oil warmed. New OPS fixed that. My 6.5 is showing some same symptoms of failure - when gauge is working, warm OP is about 45. But then same RPM, for no reason, it'll hunker down about 30, then jump back up. I think the sender is sending me a message about its condition, if not an accurate accounting of the OP.

Kennedy
06-08-2005, 11:22
I would verify oil psi with a known good mechanical gauge and proceed from there. Oil psi is primarily influenced by bearing clearances...

cruzer
06-08-2005, 11:39
TommyB, I don't reacall hearing anything about aftermaket valve covers. On the stk covers, sometimes the mating suface around the bolt holes need to be flatten out, where the bolts pulled it down to the head. Clean the cover w/brake clean and put some on a rag and clean the head. Silicone does'nt like oily surfaces. A good size bead of glue.

My stk gauge doensn't much go over 40 cold or hot,
and usually doesn't go below 30. My mechanical gauge, cold will go to about 50, hot idles around 20-25 and goes up to 40.

You want the glow plugs to come on when the engine is hot???????

My plugs don't come on when hot.

Ken

catmandoo
06-08-2005, 15:58
yep valve covers need a good bead of sealant they should have used the set up like on the 350's,rubber seal in a groove,tighten bolts ,done.

TommyB
06-11-2005, 10:55
Moose & Kennedy:

I end up repacing the sender about every 18 or 24 months because of fuel pump failure. I will install a mech. guage & see what I get.

Cruzer:

Yes, my truck doesn't like to start after about 30 minutes sitting when it is hot. Right now I have the controller up off the block about 2 inches (bought a 1/2" thick dishwater safe plastic cutting boards from Walmart & fabbed a mount). This diddn't help enough so I built a small box with a 3' fan thatsits in front of the rdivers side battery. I ran a length of about 2" breather hoseto the controller. Turn the fan on & in 5 or 10 minutes the glow plugs will cycle & the engine will start. It works OK but who needs another hose running through the engine bay?

I'm sure I saw a set of allum. valve covers with 6.2 TD or 6.5 TD embossed in them somewhere. Oh well maybe it was just a dream.

Thanks for the input guys