PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel drive ??

bbudus
06-01-2005, 19:20
When I engage my 4 wheel drive it takes forever to engage, same when i disengage, have to back up....blah blah blah. Been that way since it drove off the showroom floor.

My question is what is the difference between the 95 and 94? The 95's and up have the push button and it is a instant on, instant off. Can my truck be modified so it does that also??

Bbudus

gerry1
06-01-2005, 21:50
You probably have the stock gas bulb actuator. These are very slow to engage, especially in cold weather. Not sure about the disengage issue. Later models use a solenoid which is a positive engage/disengage. Sorry I do not have the GM P/N's but there is an aticle on the Diesel Page on the conversion. Actually it is in one of the Diesel Page Review books. I will try to find mine an look up the P/N's.

Gerry

opto
06-02-2005, 02:11
This issue was discussed not so long ago, I think in the GM light duty section. Search there and you will find.

You can replace the thermal actuator with the newer style from 95 and up but you will have to do some additional wireing.

schamp
06-02-2005, 02:14
If you are going to change to the newer style you may need new wiring for the change over. My 97 2500 did. No big deal, just ask. Might save you a day or a trip back to the dealer. Its just a small harness with the correct plug and you have to run a wire up to the underhood fuse panel and connect to power it. Good luck.

20050627|3|008327|000043|65.183.99.20
06-02-2005, 07:10
I did the change on my 94 gas 2500. Easy change but I ran into dumb problems. Replaced the actuator easilly enough and had to splice a wire into the connector on top of the transfer case. It didn't work and was some months before I crawled back under it to find I hadn't pushed the connector back on properly. Once I did that, it worked flawlessly.

I have not done the change on my current truck though. I will before next winter as it was slowing down in the cold. Probably wire it up differently though. I would like to be able to have 2 lo so I'd wire something up to a switch on the dash. Probably splice the wire that goes to the transfer case to a switch.

bbudus
06-02-2005, 07:58
Awsome replies, I knew there was a way to do it just couldn't remember. TDP comes through again.

Bbudus

opto
06-02-2005, 13:04
Yepp, it will be easy to wire it for all three cases: off-on-auto

JohnC
06-03-2005, 13:19
Originally posted by opto:
Yepp, it will be easy to wire it for all three cases: off-on-auto Be careful. If you try to engage the front axle while the transfer case is in 2WD you could damage the mechanism in the front diff. When the transfer case is in 4WD everything is spinning roughly the same speed. Once engaged, you can safely shift the transfer case in and out of 4WD.

06-03-2005, 13:30
My way of wiring it (splicing into the brown wire that goes to the T/C) would prevent this. I would not be able to engage the front with the T/C in 2wd. Just be able to turn off the front and then put the t/c in 4wdlo to give me 2 lo.

Seems safer to me.

Eduardo
06-03-2005, 17:13
I installed in my 93 K3500 4x4 a posi-lok mechanical 4x4 engagement system a couple of months ago (information at http://www.4x4posi-lok.com ). It works great. :D

fastcat800
08-29-2005, 11:09
Thganks for the help guys. I found another Posi-lock that NAPA sells. It's $179 and the one made in Las Vegas is $199. Anyone have any exp. with the NAPA one as it's in stock. The instructions say it has a button to push and cable engagement but does not tell you what the button does. Here is the web site http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/ Can you screw up your 4WD if you do things out of sequence with these?

Aryeh Levy
08-29-2005, 14:06
The hubs are automatic right? Is it electric axle engagement? I've heard that automatic axles dont work in reverse.

Should i get manual free/lock hubs for $100?

08-29-2005, 14:35
Originally posted by Aryeh Levy:
The hubs are automatic right? Is it electric axle engagement? I've heard that automatic axles dont work in reverse.

Should i get manual free/lock hubs for $100? The conversion to manual is a lot more then $100. You would have to do something to keep the axle shaft engaged.

There is an actuator in the right side of the front driveshaft that pushes the axel shaft to engage the front. The stock was a thermal unit that gets weaker with age. It starts not working in cold weather or when underwater and gets slower as time goes on. I don't think reverse helps it any. GM has a replacement unit that is a big solenoid and works like stock should. The Posi-Lok is a aftermarket replacement that is about as manual as you can get without going to the expense of hubs and all that entails.

DA BIG ONE
08-30-2005, 00:59
Originally posted by Aryeh Levy:

Should i get manual free/lock hubs for $100? IFS 4x4 diff does not have a locking hub option, nor are there any aftermarket hubs to convert it. It has an open carrier w/right axle engage/dis-engage setup, how axle engages/dis-engages (vacuum, electric & manual) varies over the years.

While billed as 4wd going off road will teach you quickly its 3wd, or less. Aftermarket lockers for the IFS diff can be had to make it true 4wd for off road.

The only 4wd setup that always drives front IFS diffs even in 2wd is the NP246 AutoTrac. So, front driveshaft, ring/pinion get extra wear but doubtful if it increases fuel used unless bearings, or something else is draggin.