PDA

View Full Version : Need Good 6.5 Mechanic in Mid. Atlantic area

96turboSuburban
05-29-2005, 20:12
Hi all!
My mechanic is moving to Fl. in a week or two and want to test the water to see if anyone in the DC Balto. area has a reference for a good 6.5 mech. for my baby.
I live in S. Md just south of DC.
Thanks!
Todd

Randee of the Redwoods
05-30-2005, 08:49
Jim Mckay Chevrolet in Fairfax County, VA. Look them up on the internet. They do have a site. Call up and ask if Woodrow is still there. He did an excellant job on my truck.

96turboSuburban
05-30-2005, 18:36
Thanks Randee!
I'll give their svc dept a call tomorow and see if Woodrow still works there!
If you want I will keep you updated! :D
Todd

96turboSuburban
07-10-2005, 13:52
Hey Guys!
I'm bumping this one since I still am looking for a quality 6.5 mechanic in the Mid. Atlantic area.
Randee, I couldn't locate Woodrow.

Thanks in Advance,
Todd

Burgess
07-11-2005, 17:13
heeeyyyyyy todd.........other side of the bay from you..........stones diesel @ truck repair, 30631 e. hampden ave......princess anne, md....410.651.0121......ask for "maylon".....he knows the 6.5 inside out and every thing else about the vehicle also........he's set the 1.97 timing for me....gears,balancer,pump on and on ........my 98 sub under his care has 294+ now and runs like it loves life......i realize it would be a hike for you, but if you book him ahead ..........he'll work on it while you watch.......burgess

96turboSuburban
07-13-2005, 15:02
Thanks Burgess!
I'll give him a call and set it up!!
I appreciate the info and if he's that good, he'll have my buisness also!! :D
Todd

Aryeh Levy
07-23-2005, 09:31
burgess
how much $ did it take to get 297?
What mods were made?

also does anybody know a good 6.5 mechanic just north of DC/in DC/ PG/Montgomery area? I want to become friends before things go south, the transmission makes a lurch is i press the brakes hard, every few feet, it'll lurch like one spoke on a gear is missing, and there's power on the gear... any ideas on this?

I'm thinking everything's going to be bad (gut feeling) so i'm going to http://a1warrantysolution.com/ and getting an internally lubricated parts warranty with a 90 ay exclusion. $900 not bad i think - if a head goes to spider cracks and a piston and the tranny nukes, then its probably worth it 18 times over. cant afford the risk...

Burgess
07-24-2005, 05:28
aryeh..........first of all......let me say that i love this machine.........for long distance fast land travel hauling tons of photo gear and two assistants ........we can make the west coast in 3 days.......i gave up flying to gigs with all the gear if i can get there ontime with the burb......from the stand point of grnd travel from a die in the wool toyota lc nut........this is the best vehicle i have ever owned............gm sucks...........being not able to post to much......long short story........i have an on going warrenty case since the fall of '98.........i bought the rig here in md from a close friend service manager of a big gm/toyota dealer.........so i know the dealer game in and out...........with about 34000. miles on the rig while going to mso, montana to see my lady who was teaching out there, the rig started sucking coolant.......and i mean sucking.......put it in the big gm dealers shop out in mso and being under warrenty ........no problem right.??????? wrong.......because there was so much glycol [exceeding 250 ppm] the dexcool had jelled the amsoil and it would not run out of the rig..........you never changed your oil.............now i have impeccable records on this rig along with records of all oil changes at the required mark..........dealer claimed bearings wear bad ......on and on..........i had to buy the new long block ........refused to give the core to gm ...........hired a big lawfirm in mso ........took the core to an independent shop and vidioed the teardown..........ie ....blown headgaseket and no.........no .......visiable bearing damage..........dealer claimed they had broken engine down etc ..........they never broke anything down.......they just pulled the block ,,,,,,put the everything back on and had an out of town guy to play with..........when the big lawyer saw the breakdown .........he imformed me that they could go no further because they where friends with the dealer.........on and on it has gone with more time and funds on my part that any sane man would do.........they just ****ed off the wrong guy..........the dealer of course blamed it all on the fact that i had used amsoil............guess what.......when you mix synthetic with dexcool ........it jells.

had i been smart ......... hindsight .......i should have flatbeded the rig back to md and my dealer would have honered the warrenty period..........one of the biggest fights has been finding a law firm out there that would stand up to the dealer.........their all in bed together out there........but i found one.........we will see.

can't post anymore about this now ........but will put the whole story on this forum when it's resolved unless i end up with a gag order..........

what has the rig cost at this point minus the above???????? i just put in what ever needs doing.........all the work done by stones and parts from john kennedy............

just off the top of my head and without an audit..........one new pump at 163,741......one set of new injectors........3 fsd's and now running on john's cooler package........timing is at -1.94 tdc.......gears, balancer, water pump and john's fan clutch with the 21'" fan.......john's cross over pipe.......straight 3 1/2 inch exhaust with small resonator.......original down pipe......amsoil bypass setup and run 15/40 amsoil marine with amsoil duel air filter.........still on original alternator/starter......transmission hasn't missed a beat.......run amsoil synthetics in all the systems.......gregs oil lines to the cooler......michelin lt265/35 r16 and i had 120,696 miles on the last set when i pulled them and they where still not down to the wear marks.......i run them right around 73 lb of pressure........i think that one of the reasons that the front end has been so good is that i had the frame tabs removed when i boutht the rig and the camber/caster adjustment just stays true.............one stepper motor........4 fuel pumps.....more as a profolatic than anything else.....the usual small stuff that one needs to keep a rig running......ie one set of motor mounts........hoses/serfbelt/wiper module/3 bateries/one left front wheel speed sensor/vacum pump/ ........small stuff .......because i want 500,000 miles out of this rig.............

i had two lc toyotas with over 300,000 and the second one is still going......all from a guy who " doesn't change and maintane his vehicles"...........like i said ......i love this rig.......love the way she sounds....drives....handles and the service she has given me................i would have been one of the best pr guys in the world for gm.......and i'm an advertising photographer with a big mouth...........but i really don't think they give a damn...........like health care ......it's gonna depend on the fight you want to put up...............and if i go down over this ......it's gonna be in flames...........burgess