PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 TTD (Twin turbo)

MVDyken
10-24-2005, 16:28
Hi there I recently had the idea of putting twin turbos on my 6.5. Have already done all of the calculations and figure it will work but I don't know is I have the talent to make the custom headers reguired for both the passenger and drivers side turbos. Has anyone ever heard of a header company that specialy makes headers for the 6.5. If any body has an idea for the type of turbos to use. Or is this an intirely bad idea to start on the project being that I am so young.

PS I have emailed turbo technologys but no respone on the custom headers

markrinker
10-24-2005, 17:19
First off - I don't think age has anything to do with it. Your youth might even be a distinct advantage!

I am sure you could build an 18:1 motor using mechanical injection to supply enough fuel to merit the use of two small turbos.

The challenge will be to design, borrow, or adapt reliable fuel injection components(filtration, injection pump, injectors) that will deliver a nice fuel curve - and then match that to your twin turbo boost curve.

What fuels your desire for twin turbos? Is it the cool factor, or the promise of big power numbers?

Dvldog 8793
10-24-2005, 17:31
Howdy
I am no expert but I don't think the 6.5 V8 can handle any more power than what some of us are currently putting out. I have visions of building a 6.5 T-bucket some day and that will probably be a TTD. STRICTLY for the cool factor! :D tongue.gif
There is a member that has a 6.2 TTD, try posting on the 6.2 forrum. If I remember he stated that he did it because that was what he had access to.
For headers try Headers by Stan.
Hope this helps and have fun!
L8r
Conley

MVDyken
10-24-2005, 17:59
Thanks for all of your guys input. I do want to do it for the cool factor for sure. But being limited to fabrication skill will be a big hurdle for me. I did see the TTD 6.2 in the re printed back issues. Matt Knoig from Peninsular told me that there TTD engine produces 380HP I assume at the flywheel and a set of turbos would be about 1400$. I found a place on the internet that can custom make transmission for my application. And I'll check out Headers by Stan. Agian Thanks for you help

grape
10-24-2005, 19:03
stock 6.2 manifolds swapped and turned upside down.....done. Just hack and make it fit. George at turbo technology can do anything you want as long as your wallet is large enough and your time frame isn't "hurried".

MVDyken
10-25-2005, 15:41
For the oil feed line do in need to put a NPT adapter into the oil tank. And then for the rest on the istallation is there any more things that I have to think or worry about to get it operational

grape
10-25-2005, 18:43
Originally posted by MVDyken:
For the oil feed line do in need to put a NPT adapter into the oil tank. And then for the rest on the istallation is there any more things that I have to think or worry about to get it operational Only thing that goes in the pan is the return from the turbo, above oil level. You need to have main galley pressure to feed the turbo, you can tee the oil pressure sender on the back of the block and run a line to the turbo.

Inspector
10-25-2005, 19:18
There is a fellow in Austrailia that does or did swaps from left to righthand drive for the 6.5 and 6.2 diesels. He was actually putting the engines in Fords. He manufactured his own exhaust manifold to move the turbo to the other side. I'll have to do some research to find his name and address down under. I met him at the Ohio rendezvous a few years back. He had a great scrapbook to show us what he did. He was fine person also.
Denny

More Power
10-25-2005, 19:37
http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/400TT.jpg

Peninsular Diesel (http://www.peninsularengine.com) offers a twin turbo 6.5..... :D for both marine and on-road apps. The marine TT is rated at 400, but you'd need a really good intercooler to approach that in a pickup truck.

Jim

Dvldog 8793
10-26-2005, 05:03
NOW THAT IS THE ENGINE THAT I NEED FOR MY T-BUCKET!!!! (yes I am shouting!) :D :D
Now lets see.... If I stop drinking beer and save my money.... Maybe I can have enough in...
To hell with it I'll just mortgage the house.. AGAIN!
L8r
Conley

MTTwister
10-26-2005, 07:53
Dvldog - You might want to make that mid- engine setup, or those pipes will make for an interesting ride... smile.gif

AndyL
10-26-2005, 10:37
Originally posted by More Power:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/400TT.jpg

Peninsular Diesel (http://www.peninsularengine.com) offers a twin turbo 6.5..... :D for both marine and on-road apps. The marine TT is rated at 400, but you'd need a really good intercooler to approach that in a pickup truck.

Jim Why twins in a boat? I wouldn't think spool speed up is a concern?

Cowracer
10-26-2005, 11:44
Cause its cool as the other side of the pillow!

Boat guys like multiples. Saw a pickle fork with 3 of those 3.5L V6 racing mercs on it at Mark Twain lake. I asked him 2 aint enough, and he said "No. Id put on a fourth but nobody makes brackets for it".

Tim

MVDyken
10-26-2005, 13:42
Does any buddy know what kind and model for turbo that I should use? And thanks againg Grape for th e Information. Note On you gallery who did all of the work on the red 6.5 engine that is sweet :eek: :eek:

grape
10-26-2005, 16:47
myself

restoguy
10-26-2005, 16:57
I'm really interested in this thread. I've been planning on building a TT 6.5 for my next truck as soon as I find it('96-'00 crew cab short box,auto, 4x4, charcoal or peweter in case anyone has one they want to sell). I would probably be better off just getting a DMax, but I want to see the look on the faces of all those PowerJoke owners when their little 6ho is suck'n on my tail pipe! I am also intersted in the supercharger that Marine Diesel(Sweden)uses. They have an American dist. in OK that I emailed, but got no response. It's a whipple style with air/water intercooler.

MVDyken
10-26-2005, 19:18
Im tellin ya 6.5 Power is contagius

Cowracer
10-27-2005, 04:19
Restoguy~

I hate to say it but a modded 6.5 wont be able to touch a modded PSD, Cummins or DMAX. The architucture of the engine just wont alow the kind of power you can get out of a Direct injection engine.

You will be able to give a STOCK PSD, Cummins or DMax the pause, but once they start modding them, the only thing sucking on a tailpipe will be the 6.5

Dont flame me about this. I am 6.5 through and through. But one must be honest with oneself.

Tim

MVDyken
10-27-2005, 04:25
Yes I know I am allready aware of this I just thinks it alot of fun to build up a 6.5 to equal a Dmax

restoguy
10-27-2005, 05:28
I'm with MVDyken. No one around here really does much bombing so I only have to keep up with stock PSD & ISB's. Everybody thinks that the 6.5L is junk 'cause they 'knew a guy who's brother's friend had one that leaked a little oil, Chevy diesels are crap.' When I mention that I have one, they always act like I said I had terminal cancer! I just want to show them that the 6.5 can be a good engine. It can run, pull, and last like anybody elses. When it's built RIGHT, that's the problem with the engine. But in the end I'll probably end up with more money in it than if I had just bought a used DMax. Dollar for HP anyway. But I like the older PU's and turning my own wrenches. Plus I can spend the money a little at a time. Just my thoughts.

rjschoolcraft
10-27-2005, 06:32
Here's what can be done with one with a stock turbo and without internal modification: 6.5 Performance Data. (http://www.schoolcraftpowertrain.com/index_files/Page414.htm) Be sure to click on the "Next" link at the bottom to see a comparison with a D-Max.

My current engine is much stronger by seat-of-the-pants feel. Working to get more yet...

Cowracer
10-27-2005, 06:42
Originally posted by restoguy:
I'm with MVDyken. No one around here really does much bombing so I only have to keep up with stock PSD & ISB's. Everybody thinks that the 6.5L is junk 'cause they 'knew a guy who's brother's friend had one that leaked a little oil, Chevy diesels are crap.' When I mention that I have one, they always act like I said I had terminal cancer! I just want to show them that the 6.5 can be a good engine. It can run, pull, and last like anybody elses. When it's built RIGHT, that's the problem with the engine. But in the end I'll probably end up with more money in it than if I had just bought a used DMax. Dollar for HP anyway. But I like the older PU's and turning my own wrenches. Plus I can spend the money a little at a time. Just my thoughts. Agreed! Nothing frosts my cupcakes like having to defend a perfectly fine motor like the 6.5 to the unwashed massed. I'll choke the next ba$stard that refers to my engine as a "Converted Gas Motor" ARRRRGGH!

With the 6.5 I can love my engine AND my money!

Tim

C.K. Piquup
10-30-2005, 05:44
With me,it`s all these guys that didn`t know what a diesel was until the Dmax came out.They`re "Buy-ins",first it was the Cummins guys,then the Powerstrokers,now DuraMaxxers.Plop down the big bicks,now yer King Sh!+.right?Whatever!I love dropping jaws in my`92,even modifieds.~cuz I got the surprise element and some snappy reflexes(lets not forget driver ability as a factor).They are left pondering,"how can an older smokey 6.5 move like that?Sheew,all that black smoke,he`s probably blowing that thing up!Cough Cough."

MVDyken
10-30-2005, 14:07
What do I do with the CDR valve

DA BIG ONE
10-31-2005, 00:41
Originally posted by MVDyken:
What do I do with the CDR valve Plumb it to both sides, or have a single monster airfilter 6.0" dia w/adapter splitting intake to both turbos.

This concept for 2 turbos I think is more streetable than 1 turbo.

As for sizing turbos see here for some basics:
http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm#c

My choice for turbos would be units sized for 2.0/2.3 liter. Considering, our 6.5 TD's do not rev too high fast spool turbo like mitsu 13c or g would be ideal for application.