PDA

View Full Version : Boost and EGT, readings under normal operation?

Clark's diesel
10-23-2005, 18:34
I finished installing my Autometer guages today and took a 20 min drive on the highway to get some readings under normal operation. In overdrive at 65 mph,& 2000 RPM about 5lbs. of boost and 600 degrees EGT. EGT went up a little as well as boost when going uphill. Just curious if these numbers are in the ballpark. I have 141000 miles on the truck. I still have to do the heat shrink tubing over the thermocouple connections, but wanted to make sure it is operating correctly before doing so. I connected my guage lights to the block directly in front of the parking brake. There is a spot that is tied into the dimmer switch. I can't remember who posted that info, but it sure made that part of the install easy. Does anybody know if that block is fused or not? I may have to wire in an inline fuse.

[ 10-24-2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Turbo Powered ]

DennisG01
10-24-2005, 03:16
Is your pyro located pre or post turbo? I'm guessing it's pre based on 600*. Although depending on head wind and outside temperature (couldn't tell where you are from - there are some places up north where the pavement ends, and also a few places down south ;) ) you might see 600* with it post turbo. Other than that, your boost number sounds about right - maybe a tad high, but still fine.
Can't help you about that wiring block. But, I can tell you that my gauge lights are piggy-backed right to the fuse (on the left side side of the dash) for the instrument cluster lights (I think that's the fuse it's connected to - I'd have to check to be sure).

markrinker
10-24-2005, 05:18
Sounds about right. Do you have a boat or trailer or some medium load that you could pull up the same hill for a comparison? That would be a good test.

Clark's diesel
10-24-2005, 15:32
Sorry, I live in Nebraska. I put where the pavement ends down because it seems that I am always on some dirt road somewhere getting to a favorite farm pond or hunting spot. Yeah, I have a boat I could pull around to test the guage. I just wanted to see if that was about where it should be under normal driving conditions before I buttoned everything up. I installed the EGT pre-turbo so I could get the best reading. I mounted it on the passenger side exhaust manifold before the turbo. There is a nice flat spot on the foot of the manifold to drill and tap. Got that idea from John Kennedy's tech tip section of his web site. The hardest part was tightening the EGT probe. I found that a crows foot works really well.

markrinker
10-24-2005, 17:24
Your numbers seem reasonable to me.

You'll be amazed to see how much more boost your turbo will produce under load, and the relationship of EGTs. Find something heavy and drag it around.

Any plans to increase your fuel delivery and/or boost levels?

Clark's diesel
10-24-2005, 17:56
First I think I had better do the cooling mods. Then I will probably add some kind of air intake like an AFE or something. Then I might get an electronic boost controller. There seems to be some controversy over 15lbs. of boost being too much. Right now, in first gear up to 2,000 rpm I get an aveerage of ten with peaks at 12 before it shifts to second. I failed to mention that I have 373 gears. I need to install new injectors probably since I'm at 142000 miles.

DennisG01
10-25-2005, 03:13
Hi,
Don't worry about what the boost spikes to (unless it's some astronomical number :eek: ). It looks like you're doing things pretty much in the same order that I did - take care of air in/air out, add gauges so you know what's going on, mine's a '98 so I already had the cooling mod's, then start adding more power. By the way, to check your true max boost: 3rd gear, full throttle with tranny locked up, ideally pulling a load. But, sounds like you've got everything under control! smile.gif

Clark's diesel
10-25-2005, 12:59
Thanks Dennis, I am glad that I stumbled upon this here website. You guys have been very helpful with all of the info. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Am General
10-25-2005, 16:31
I don't know exactly what my boost is, because if I really floor it on the highway it pegs my 15psi guage. The temps stay reasonable, and I have not let them go above 1000. I don't generally drive my truck hard like that, I just wanted to see what boost it went up to. Normally I run around 8ish psi. My truck had an upgraded computer and full stainless exhaust on it when I bought it. Unfortunately I can't do much about my intake, although I think the factory design is pretty good. I do have a K+N replacement filter in there, but people say it's bad for my truck. I'm not sure on that. Anyone know?

Clark's diesel
10-25-2005, 16:41
John Kennedy will be the first to tell you that the K&N filters sacrifice filtration to produce more airflow. I can't remember the filters he recommends but they do sound nice. Not sure about the cost either. Sounds like he knows his stuff. I will have to research it a little bit as I'm in the market for a new air intake. The factory airbox seems a little bit restrictive. There are mods you can do to it but I'm not really sure what you will gain.

Am General
10-25-2005, 17:11
I don't really have an "air box" per say. Altering the factory snorkel is not an option. And I have not really seen anything besides the K+N for my truck. I'd like to find another higher flowing better filtering unit for my truck. But have been unsuccessful.

Clark's diesel
10-25-2005, 17:20
E-mail Kennedy, he advertises here on TDP. He could probably steer you in the right direction. Or you could start another thread about a different type of filter for your Hummer. I personally don't know much about them.