PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Hummer H1 6.5 fit into 98 Suburban?

EscaladeDiesel
02-22-2004, 16:02
While I wait to see if my engine can be salvaged, I was looking around for an engine. I found one from a totaled 2000 Hummer H1 with 8k miles and 2k on a new injector pump here in Texas. I think it can be had for around $4000 complete, does that sound like a good deal? What are the differences between the GM issue 6.5 and the one that is used in the Hummer H1? Are there mods. or changes that must be made to put it in my 1998 Suburban?

Arlie
02-22-2004, 16:51
If the engine is guaranteed not to be damaged (eg thrust damage to crank) I'd day that's a good deal. I don't see why it shouldn't fit but am not the one to day for sure.
Myself, I'm seriously thinking of going to a performance 350.
Hope it works out for you.
Arlie

JoeyD
02-22-2004, 17:46
Thats not cheap for a used motor. It's complete but do you need it to be? You could get a performance built motor from Avant Salvage for around the same money. It will not be complete but you have all the bolt on items already.

EWC
02-22-2004, 18:28
The Hummer and van turbo systems are different than the truck systems . Short block should work but then you would need your old heads , turbo , etc .

john8662
02-22-2004, 20:34
EWC is right about the engine! This engine won't work as a direct replacement for your current 6.5. As stated the Hummer and Vans use a center mounter turbo system that has even different heads from the 6.5s used in the trucks/subs/tahoe/yukon/blazer. You could only use the short block. Keep looking, there are better deals out there, even look on ebay time to time. Personally, I would stick to the vendors here on TDP, like Avant.

EscaladeDiesel
02-22-2004, 21:07
Thanks for all the good info. I had thought the hummer block and engine were superior to the regular issue 6.5's, but if that is not so, then I guess I should just have my engine repaired if I can.

Arlie
02-23-2004, 23:13
http://www.amghummer.com/Diesel/No8Cyl/CrackedBlock.htm

Just a little FYI about the blocks. You do have to spend a lot more to get an "enhanced" block.
Of course then there's still the cylinder cracking problem to consider...
I may have a 599 block for sale soon. I'll likely just take what the local rebuilder gives for cores, if it's even rebuildable.
Arlie

EscaladeDiesel
02-27-2004, 09:03
check my new post on the update of the damages to my engine.

Keith Richards
02-28-2004, 16:24
Arlie, just curious,why are you switching back to gas?Too many problems with the 6.5?I love my truck but all the negative posts scare me.I expect my diesel to last a long time, if maintained properly, of course.Is this in the same truck you have in youre profile? Good luck either way

Arlie
03-02-2004, 17:43
Good question. One I've put a lot of thought into. No offense to the guys on this site, they've done a great job helping folks out with their GM diesels. However after reading a lot about the 6.5 I've concluded I don't want to put 5G into one. IMO the cracking block and head issues just don't warrant that kind of investment. Apparently the AMG enhanced block is good but I'm not even certain about that and there's still the head issues.

I can convert to a 383 stoker with about 350 HP and decent torque for about $4000 without me lifting a wrench, less of course if I do the work. Of course mileage will be poor compared to the 6.5 but I don't put a lot of miles on.

The other option I'm considering, and will do if I can plan it for a price around 5-6G, with me doing the work, is conversion to a Cummins 5.9. Again no offense but this is widely acknowledged to be a far superior engine in many ways, especially reliability.

I've discovered quite a number of folks have done this conversion and I have a basic idea of the scope of the project. I'm considering this only because I have the shop, equipment, don't mind the truck being down for a couple months or more, and perhaps more than anything, enjoy mechanical work when the end product is satisfying. Either way I go I think I'll like my truck better.

Arlie

JoeyD
03-02-2004, 18:36
Ford cummins.com will be making a swap kit available soon. They are working on it now.

EscaladeDiesel
03-02-2004, 18:57
This all sounds very interesting. I am curious. Can an engine from an H1 be installed with the center turbo if you install a hood with more clearance?

Arlie
03-02-2004, 21:58
Keith, sorry I forgot to mention my engine is blown. See my prior post 2-28-04 (page 3). If mine were running I certainly would keep it. I do think most 6.5s last just fine even though it is without doubt a problem engine (the reason this web site is so popular!) I hope seeing the problem engines on this site doesn't make you too nervous. The only real caution I have is if you haven't changed from the original metal oil cooler lines, do it now before they leak - seldom can the engine be shut down before a catastrophe.
Also, guard against any overheating. Yes this is my signature truck.

Escalade, again I don't know for sure, but just looking at pics, it seems the turbo from an H1 might have firewall clearance issues. Your labor quote seems extreme. My 6.5 rebuild was going to cost $2800 for total long block refurb, with $1200 labor/extra parts, total $4000. I looked around for an affordable rebuild shop and reputable honest installer, both with 6.5 experience, both confident in the other's work. Bothers me when I see someone being taken advantage of, likely due to an inexperienced mechanic plus your limited mechanical background. Tough now your mechanic is into you. You might negotiate to cut your losses, find an experienced reasonable mechanic. I'd think carefully about letting this person partly rebuild your 6.5. Others here may have good advice re this.

Joey D, are you referring to a kit for a Chevy on the Ford site? Guess I can look on the site. I've found bits of info a lot of places, never thought to look there!

Thanks
Arlie

EscaladeDiesel
03-03-2004, 06:02
Thanks for your concern and support Arlie. This is certainly a position I NEVER thought I would be in. I bought the diesel to be more dependable and reliable, and even spent thousands on an expensive extended warranty, only to have them file for bankruptcy the same week my oil line failed. Go Figure!!!!