PDA

View Full Version : Fuel additive

Barry Nave
02-22-2004, 11:57
What brand are being used?
How do you account for that brand?

Tough Guy
02-22-2004, 15:57
I like to use Power Service Diesel Kleen (gray bottle) I have used it for over 100,000 miles and have seen an increase in fuel mileage good enough to pay for the additive while still gaining from the other benefits such as injector cleaner and injection system lubricity improver. I now have over 140,000 miles on the original injection system and can see no signs of it slowing down, starts great hot and makes lots of power while still maintaining 17-18 MPG....

Cheers

Barry Nave
02-22-2004, 16:18
Tough Guy
I also have alway used PS only in the white jug.
Know of any Diff. between the two other than mine says cetain boost. I've used the gray bottle before though have not seen it around lately

rjschoolcraft
02-22-2004, 17:10
I use Stanadyne Performance Formula.

Kidd
02-22-2004, 17:41
I use Howes.. extended my fuel filter change interval to 50k, might go more, but that's when I change it. Think it helps the injectors and pumps too, have never changed either on any of my diesel powered equipment. I have one tractor with 27k hours, another with 35k, still original injectors and pump. :cool:
K.D.

gwaidman
02-22-2004, 19:08
I as well use the Howes brand. I would like to give this Power Service in the grey bottle a try, it seems to have good results and I would like to have something to compare the Howes to.

Wheat Whacker
02-22-2004, 19:51
I usually run Power Service in the gray bottle when the temp is consistently above 20 degrees and the white bottle when it is below 20 degrees. If I remember right the white bottle has more anti gel properties while the gray bottle has a higher cetane boost and one or 2 other properties. This is what I remember last time I compared the bottles, but the ole memory just ain't what it used to be. I am using Howes right now because they were out of PS but my pickup seems to run better with the PS Vs. Howes but it could just be me.

Barry Nave
02-23-2004, 03:04
Years ago I started using PS for it was always eazy to get. When I first got my truck the water lite was like a christmas tree. I still drain the bowl though the water lite has never came on.
Wal-Mart use to sell the PS in the gray bottle but now only sells it in the white one .
PS says the white is year round though I would like the gray as stated for above frezz temp.
I know each one has there liking, price compare is one issue.

Barry Nave
02-23-2004, 03:06
PS user. How many oz do you use,say per 20 gal?

Marty Lau
02-23-2004, 07:48
I also use Power Service mostly teh white bottle as a ranch suppy store runs it on sale once in awhile an I can get the 96 ounce bottles for $8.
I pick up 2 or 3 of those at a time. I just put a hole about 1/4 inch in the foil and add about that much per tank 4-6 ounces??? I dose it more when it's cold never had gelled fuel even down to
-30. I was using the Rotella DFA and seemed good also, problem there is I was buying case lots of quart bottles at Sam's club and then typical Sam's they stopped caring it. :(
so I switched to Power service because it is readliy avaible at reasonable cost and seems to work well. 135,000 miles on current Injection pump. I have changed drivers several times but that electronic and not the mechincal part.

Tough Guy
02-23-2004, 10:50
I use 6-8 oz per fill-up, The gray bottle is cheaper than the white and has more cetane booster. The station I fuel up at takes care of the gelling stuff.

Cheers

Wheat Whacker
02-23-2004, 19:08
I guess I usually try and use around 8 oz per fill up wheter it be PS in the white or gray bottle. PS in the gray bottle is always more expensive around here. Wish it was the the other way around as I use more of the stuff in the gray bottle.

Lug
02-24-2004, 10:51
WheatWhacker,
You probably noticed a difference between PS and Howes. My 79 diesel Rabbit acts real funny on PS. The engine doesn't idle down very well. With Howes or ATF it runs just fine. The ATF is rccommended by a VW diesel shop that specializes in the 1.6l diesel Rabbit.
Justin

Wheat Whacker
02-24-2004, 19:07
Actually it seems to run better on PS than with Howes. It seems to start better and after a couple tanks it seems to have a little more power. But then again it could all be in my head :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

kowsoc
02-25-2004, 05:27
I use between 8 to 10 ounces of PS. The grey bottle has more cetane boost and cleaners. I have used the white bottle for the anti-gel but the grey bottle works better for me. I have also used as much as 16 oz. in a tankfull for a more pronounced effect with lots of cetane boost! ;)
Where I buy it the grey and white are the same price so I usually take the grey.

eracers999
02-26-2004, 22:45
I use the marvel mystery oil, one pint per tank.
I know that it adds lubricity to the pump, inj and the piston and rings.
Keeps everything real clean.
Kent

cruzer
02-27-2004, 10:35
About 5 yrs ago I used Stanydyne perf formula and did not see or here much of a change. After that I did not use anything. Stanydyne seemed expensive to me. After a rebuild I still didn't use any additive until recently. For about 5000 miles, I've been using PS in the white bottle and notice a quieter and smoother engine with added MPG. I'm sold on the stuff. I can't wait til summer fuel gets here because most of my old mileage # are from summer use and not using any additive.

pstrother
02-27-2004, 10:55
I will let you know about the Stanodyne, I just picked up a case and will relay any improvements. As they come up.

6.5L "C" G20 Van 3340,00 miles.