PDA

View Full Version : A/C still down and dash still out

DickWells
02-20-2004, 17:40
Jari and other A/C knowledgeables. Please read my note in the Members Forum section titled A/C still down / down in Texas, or something like that.
Thanks.
Dick W.

FinSub97
02-23-2004, 04:01
Hi Dick!

Sorry for not responding earlier (it's winter holiday season in Finland at the moment).

All the specs/photos/info about that fix lies on my old external hard drive which is not mountable to my new system. Will try to install the drive on my parents PC and check what I got there.

It's over year since I did that and I cannot remember the specifics so clearly anymore. This is what I remember (note: not 100% accurate):

The transistor is that black semirounded three legged thing. You can find "ECB" markings on that component showing you which leg is emitter, collector and base. You need that info when installing the transistor on the other side of the board. The component MUST be flipped in order to match original connection. Be gentle when applying heat to the component, it will burn up easily. And the old one has to come out before inserting the new one.

About finding the culprit. If I remember right, on my board there were only 3 transistors and the one is underneath the bracket just so inconviently as you can imagine. Look at the area close to "mode of operation knob" -axis. If you have more than 3 transistors, then you might want to check all of them and it is not neccessarily the one I described. In that case you have to take every transistor out and test them individually. Normal general purpose multimeter has test terminals for transitors.

Dick, one thing more. The reason for this transistor to fail is most probably overvoltage or overcurrent. There may be chaffed wiring harness grounding somewhere. There is good info on TDP on this.

I have received about 25-30 emails from around the world all saying the same thing. It is that transistor and after changing it people have fixed their a/c problem. Nowadays I have a few tens of transistors in my glove dept ;)

I hope this helps.

Jari

DickWells
02-23-2004, 06:44
Thanks Jari.
There are four transistors on mine, and they are all on top of the board, where they're easy to get at. The two outside one's are identical. I replaced them both, but with a cross-over number that the guy here in Brownsville found. I wanted to change all four, but he couldn't match up the other two. Anyway, the fix didn't work, so I have been fooling around now all week with my headlight switch dangling on the wires and the AC control center just sitting in the opening. I'm going to the junk yard today to see if I can find a complete unit to slip in there. I won't throw this one out. I'll get to where I can get four new, proper transistors and change them all.
Thanks for responding. If I can fix this thing with your information, you will be a hero, and I'll be forever in your dept.
Dick