PDA

View Full Version : AIR INTAKE SYSTEM

panchosteam
02-18-2004, 19:46
Hi guys, does any body know where can i get a air intake system for my 6.5td engine? i been looking for it and the dealer says it has to be order and went to a performance shop,they don't have it,check the net couldn't find one,not even used so i don't know where to get it,if any of you has one, or sells a complete after market system please let me know, i'm interested on buy the system,thank you very much. By the way the engine is a 1996 model on a 1984 truck.

1984 SIERRA CLASSIC NOW WITH 6.5TD ENGINE, HEATH TURBO MASTER

Dvldog 8793
02-18-2004, 20:08
Howdy
As far as I know, nobody makes an aftermarket intake system. Any good salvage yard should be able to get you the parts you need. I've heard of guys just sticking the filter on the intake side of the turbo. But I would think it would be better to get your air from outside. I don't know if the intake system from a newer truck will even work on your rig.
Have fun!
L8r
conley

panchosteam
02-18-2004, 20:23
Thank you for your response,i kind of was tinking about doing the same but, my idea is to get some flexible duct or someting and get it as close as posible to the frame between the radiator and the battery,there is a factory open of about 3" so i was tinking of getting the air from here but i will see tomorrow, have to go to home depot or some place like that and see what's abailable,i checked the junk yards, made some calls but no body seems to have it,i even called heath and he said that he will try to piece one together but i haven't hear from him, i guess is just a little hard i will see what to do, thank you again.

1984 GMC SIERRA CLASSIC PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD AND TURBO MASTER FROM HEATH

Arlie
02-18-2004, 22:32
I saw somewhere an outfit makes a replacement higher flow air filter box for the 90s trucks with 6.5 TDs. Not sure if this would be useful in an 84 but it seems with the turbo system you'll need some kind of box. Sorry I can't recall where I saw this but I'll keep an eye out.
Arlie

gmenor
02-19-2004, 00:22
I forgot who sent me this link but check it out. You'll have to cut and paste it. Hope it helps out.

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

gmenor
02-19-2004, 00:24
Sorry bad link, try this one instead -

http://car-part.com/

C.K. Piquup
02-19-2004, 03:57
Do`nt use flexible ducting.It`s not rigid enough and could crush or move or"flex"in an adverse way.Also all those ribs will slow air-flow.Try using PVC or having exhaust pipe bent.Even std crush-bent will yeild better results.Also,either material can be heat-wrapped.Don`t forget to leave a flex joint of rubber hose to keep engine and body movement isolated.Keep us posted.

95-6.5
02-19-2004, 07:01
I can tell you this.by putting the filter straight on the turbo inlet you will hear turbo whine like you never heard before.Even at idle you can hear it.When going up hill or pulling a trailer it sounds like a perterbuilts turbo.I used a k/n cone type.Sounds bad ass.Even on the highway while crusing at normal speed,if you give it some gas to pass or speed up just a little you can hear it whine pretty good.. :D

panchosteam
02-19-2004, 07:50
Thank you guys, i think i liked the whiney idea.i'll give it a try, i sure will like to hear the turbo whining louder. Thank you again.

1984 SIERRA CLASSIC 3/4 TON PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5TD AND TURBO MASTER FROM HEATH.

Dvldog 8793
02-19-2004, 08:37
Howdy
This will really open up a debate!
If going right off the turbo I wouldn't use just a KN. I would try to find something that will filter a little better. UNI maybe or any other good foam race filter. I think KNs flow great but maybe lack a little filter ability. I also think trying to duct air from outside the engine compartment is a good idea.
M2CW! :D
L8r
Conley

95-6.5
02-19-2004, 09:53
Unless you are driving around in extremly dusty conditions(ie desert)I wouldnt worry about the k/n.I use k/n on both of my dunebuggys as well as 3 4wheelers,and 2 three wheelers and never had an issue.I recently rebuilt one of the buggy engines,not because i needed to but becuase i wanted more displacement.
As long as you have the correct ammount of oil on the filter i wouldnt worry about it.

DickWells
02-19-2004, 10:39
I agree with using a K/N. I got so worked up about this issue back when the DP had just posted their comparison tests of different filters and I was using the K/N that came with the Banks Stinger system that I wrote to K/N with all my concerns. Got a nice letter from them explaining how I shouldn't worry, because their filters are used even by our troops in the desert, and all kinds of other applications. Didn't make me feel a bit better at the time.
But, it's been years now, and 80k miles more, and I never have had an indication of more dirt getting into my intake. I'm using less oil by far now than I did back in 98 when I bought the rig. This, I attribute to better oil (Castrol) and better oil filters (Baldwin).
The only time I ever got worried, was back when I first got the Sub. home from the orriginal owner and found grit inside that little corrugated rubber hose in the intake elbow that hadn't been re-attached at some time before when the car had been (professionally!) serviced.
It's taken me a long time, but I think I've come to trust my K/N air filter.
FWIW, and good luck.
Dick Wells

95-6.5
02-19-2004, 11:13
i have also noticed that sometimes on this board when you ask a question the answer you will get always refers you to buying a certin group of peoples products.
For example when i asked about buying a larger exhaust from someone in my area TX i was refered to several times to kennedy.I have no doubt about his stuff but my question was for someone in my area that had exhaust systems.No matter how i asked it it was never answered.
I get the feeling that alot of times people will try and push you toward other products just because they advertise here.I have no pblm driving my truck through dust storms when i am towing my buggies somewhere....If K/N's were really crap like some say they would not be around anymore.

pannhead
02-19-2004, 15:07
IMHO....i'd think that if you went right off the turbo any gain with a free flow filter would be offset by sucking in really hot air...the cooler the air into the intake the better

triggerman
02-19-2004, 21:14
Pannhead,
Thanks for sayin it for me. :D

whatnot
02-19-2004, 21:42
What about using a filter from some heavy equipment or a big truck filter? An 84 truck should have room for a good sized one.

DickWells
02-20-2004, 11:33
There you go, Whatnot. Why didn't I think of that? That's the best idea I've seen on this topic. If you don't have all that electronic/emmissions junk under the hood, then you probably have enough room for a good big system that will take in cool air from some convenient place in the front.
You stick with the DP and you'll come up with a solution to almost anything. Now, about my A/C?
Dick Wells

DickWells
02-20-2004, 11:35
There you go, Whatnot. Why didn't I think of that? That's the best idea I've seen on this topic. If you don't have all that electronic/emmissions junk under the hood, then you probably have enough room for a good big system that will take in cool air from some convenient place in the front.
You stick with the DP and you'll come up with a solution to almost anything. Now, about my A/C?
Dick Wells

DickWells
02-20-2004, 11:38
Whoops. What the heck happened? I submitted my note and got a message that I couldn't do it for a minute, so I waited and submitted again, and now I see a CC of my note! Sorry, guys.
Dick Wells

Barry Nave
02-20-2004, 17:29
Hey let your flag fly ;) :D

MR.E
03-09-2004, 19:55
panchosteam - Check out www.jagsthatrun.com (http://www.jagsthatrun.com) There is a link on the page for air ducts. They offer a good selection of molded rubber bits that can be used to form up an intake system. I used their parts to fab up the intake for my Jeep.

Given the room under hood, I would consider finding a properly sized air box that will hold a performance filter and plumbing to and from it with the jags parts.

The nice thing about the metal 3" exhaust pipe between the rubber parts is that it makes for a convenient point to weld brackets to.

Cold air intakes are easy to fab up too. You can simply get a 3.5" hole saw and make a hole in the inner fender and press fit in one of the straight rubber pieces. Cheap and effective...but ugly. Another approach is to cut a larger hole and cover it with sheet metal. Cut a 3" hole in the sheet metal then weld a section of straight pipe to it. Secure this assembly over the hole in your fender and plumb away with the rubber sections. This same approach works well to connect into the box.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

panchosteam
03-09-2004, 23:37
Thank you MR.E,just checked the site and it's good looks like that's something that i could use

ucdavis
03-10-2004, 16:19
You may want to give consideration to airflow area on the filter you choose, in addition to the quality of filtering.
The OEM rectangular filter is 8" x 16" out to out of the gasket that (supposedly) seals it in the airbox. That's about 7.5 x 15.5 of airflow area or 116.5 sq. inches. Now that it's spring I will be installing an aftermarket cone filter (K&N type, though I'll be adding a layer of cotton gauze media & nylon stocking wrap for better filtering due to location of air pickup and some of the roads I take) that has a net of about 260 sq. inches. Installing the cone filter is easy if you get one w/the same 3" hub as the turbo intake. I'll just get a straight section & mandrel bent 3" exhaust sweeps at a local speed shop & cut & connect the required pieces w/neoprene plumbing hubs.

panchosteam
03-10-2004, 20:23
Hi guys,how can i post pictures,or add pictures to my messages?

cruzer
03-12-2004, 12:02
I agree adapting a cone airfilter direct to the turbo is pulling hot air from the engine compartment. How efficient is an intercooler?
Can it over come engine compartment heat if the
airfilter is is on the turbo? Do you think the air
temp on outlet side of the I/C will be the same as if it were pulling air from outside the engine compartment? Has anybody tested this?
I'm running JK large I/C. FYI

Not a 6.5 quetions but I would like to know.
MR.E
I noticed on your Wrangler you are using a
Wagoneer rear dana 44.Is that an offset axle?
If so how's that working for you? How long have you had it?

sturgeon-phish
03-12-2004, 17:28
Would PVC pipe handle the temps if mounted to the turbo? I looked at the link and a 3" ell has me thinking. Take a cone type filter, mount it inside the existing airbox without the plate filter, connected to the ell going to the turbo. Seal the space between the round filter base/pipe and the oval opening with a non ridgid mount. Opinions? While I'm here, what is the small hose that taps into the ell between the turbo and the filter? '96 2500.

a5150nut
03-12-2004, 20:08
Jim
Small hose is crank case breather.

C.K. Piquup
03-14-2004, 04:14
Isn`t every truck with intake snorkle removed sucking in hot,underhood air?Doesn`t this offset the more air benefit?

patrick m.
03-14-2004, 06:40
Originally posted by panchosteam:
Hi guys,how can i post pictures,or add pictures to my messages? you have to have a site host the pics for you, then you can reference the pic and post it here.
try "webshots"
or "imagestation"
they host pics for you, everything else is just follow the instructions.