PDA

View Full Version : starting problem

grabow
02-18-2004, 12:19
My new-to-me-93 is experiencing starting problems which was partially corrected with a new temp. switch, the one associated with the cold advance mechanism on the mechanical injection pump. Thankfully I am no longer ashamed of starting my truck in confined areas but still have to crank through three or more glow plug cycles before it will even attempt to run; this worsens significantly with time and I am thinking it

ucdavis
02-18-2004, 18:05
Members area has an article on Stalling which is geared to the 94 and later EFI units, but the lift pump side of the tests, fuel filter... should be applicable to a 93.
Very common is weak glow plug action. Have you removed & checked the plugs? Easy to do & cheap fix if that's what it is. B4 removing them, put a volt meter across the two big terminals of the GP relay (key off) and you should see battery volts. Then have somebody key-on while still checking & you should see about 10.5V if all plugs are pulling well. Noticably higher voltage under glow cycle means burned out plugs. Pull them to find out which & do resistance test on each.

grabow
02-19-2004, 11:41
Thank you for the information referral; I checked out the Turbo Tips No start & Stall and the Tough Nut to Crack info in the members section along with some posts and will follow up on these leads this weekend.

Additional information:
I became a Diesel Page member a few days before taking my 6.5td to the local Chevy dealer so I would have an idea of what they are telling me; this is my first diesel. The dealership said my glo-plugs are ok and wanted to change my injector pump, adding that the advance mechanism in the pump was gummy thus causing the excessive white smoke at start-up, a problem they didn