PDA

View Full Version : intercooled van

barebackjake
02-17-2004, 18:21
Has anybody sucessfully intercooled a 6.5 thats in a van or motorhome??? trying to get ideas.
have 97 g-3500 cutaway van and really want to intercool it

ucdavis
02-17-2004, 18:32
I've looked @ every space available on the motorhome chassis & have a hard time envisioning it. The area in front of the passenger wheel has enough volume, but it's in the mud-splash & rock-throw zone of the tire, so durability and maintenance of airflow across cooling surfaces poses a problem there.
The space under the front cross member is too low; above it too small; in front of it (I think this is where the standard pickup IC location is) mayyyybe could have enough volume, but there's oil cooler hoses & other junk to revise.
I'm seriously thinking about water injection this spring, cuz I can mount a tank elsewhere & run water pipe to the intake. This is simply a space concern, as the no-moving-parts simplicity of an air-to-air IC is a no-brainer if you have the room, IMO.

barebackjake
02-18-2004, 19:52
yeah thats what im running into also, no room. trying to figure out a liquid intercooler now, possibly rebuilding the intake manifolds so i could have a heat exchanger right before it goes into the manifolds. dont really want to have to deal with the bs of liquid intercooling. other thought was a freon based heat exchanger that cools the intake manifolds, thoughts of thermal expansion problems could come up from that though. and then all the horsepower to turn that compressor would it make a differnce? im gonna buy a freightliner f40 step van for my next work rig. lot easier to work on

JoeyD
02-19-2004, 15:34
I have an 01 van and it has tons of room in front of the radiator. I would fab up mounts for a d-max cooler and start running pies.

barebackjake
02-20-2004, 18:51
problem isnt up by the radiator for room, its room before and after the turbo under the engine cover, ive been looking at the heat exchanger system on my powerstroke and trying to come up with more ideas