PDA

View Full Version : glow plug changing

Obo
02-17-2004, 15:13
anyone have any suggestions for changing the passengers side glow plugs, looks difficult to get at.

Marty Lau
02-17-2004, 15:31
Yupp;
Some guys have fought getting the heat sheild out and can get to them from underneth the truck or take the wheel off and through the wheel well. Personally it's not that hard to remove and install Turbo and it make life alot easier, so I remove Turbo. Also if you have injectors that have been on the truck long time consider changing them at same time. It's suggested to change injectors every 75 to 100,000 miles. I waited until 155,000 should have don't sooner I guess.

ucdavis
02-17-2004, 16:07
And if you're removing the turbo, invest about $4 in some good anti-sieze & paint up the studs/nuts for the turbo mount to make the job easier next time.

rjschoolcraft
02-17-2004, 16:32
The glow plugs are easily accessible through the wheel well once the splash shield is out of the way. For the injectors, I remove the turbo.

Kidd
02-20-2004, 19:41
Except for number eight, had to get mine from the top.. thanx to the tips from the members here, finally changed mine. :cool:
K.D.

Dvldog 8793
02-20-2004, 20:07
Howdy
glow plugs-
#8- from under the truck, not too bad if you have stock exhaust, can be a pain with bigger down pipe.
#6 & #4- real easy from inside the fender with the splash guard off. buy extra plastic push clips as the old WILL break :D #6 can also be more trouble with bigger downpipe.
#2- easy from top front of motor.

Check ALL the wires and conectors. you might want to run a voltage check on each wire just to be sure. The drivers side I thought was also better from inside the wheel well. If you have some swelled plugs :eek: and they break off :mad: do a search of this sight, lots of good tips to remove swelled plugs. :D
I did my injectors and plugs in about six hours without removing the turbo. This seems like NOT what everyone recommends but with some "custom made" tools it worked great for me. :D
Have fun and don't forget the band-aids! tongue.gif
L8r
Conley

rjschoolcraft
02-21-2004, 06:14
Forgot to mention that I had removed the down pipe. Then all 8 were easily accessible through the wheel well.

gmenor
02-24-2004, 00:46
I just changed my glow plugs out. For the #8 glow plug I used a 1/4 drive deep well socket with a swivel and 6" extension. I never actually seen the glow plug just felt for it. Once the socket was on, I loosen the glow plug until it was free, then pulled the rest out by hand (wanted to make sure if there was a swelled glow plug I didn't break it off). The rest is as dvldog said. I had all the glow plugs out and in about 1 hour. Took longer getting the R/F wheel off then changing any of the plugs. Didn't experienced any swelled glow plugs.

Barry Nave
02-24-2004, 03:09
Changed out GP last year though #8 would not come out by hand,would screw loose just not out so I left that one in.
? What would I have to remove to be able to get ahold of it to pull,pry it out.

Dvldog 8793
02-24-2004, 05:53
Howdy
In the Marines when we had problem GPs the common practice would be to break the tip off and then fish out the piece through the injector hole. Must remember that this was done with only BASIC tools and in the field most of the time. I'm sure there are better ways! :D In looking at my truck I don't really see an easy way to get #8 short of removing the A/C can and a major wiring harness. If you go from the bottom you might gain access by remove the down pipe and other exhaust but I don't think that would give you a straight shot.
Have fun!
L8r
Conley

madmikek2500
02-25-2004, 17:46
i run a fleet of 250 6.2 and 6.5 litres and otc has come out with a glow plug removal tool it saves a lot of time and fustration it was not too expensive well worth it no need to remove injector etc. good luck