PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake conversion on 97 GMC G3500 dually van

barebackjake
02-15-2004, 15:04
Im tired of the lame drum brakes on the back of my van and am contemplating a disc swap. does the 2002 van/truck have the same rear axle as the 97?? am i gonna need a differnt porportioning valve? i know i had to change that when i did this on my 85 toyota 4x4. the axle info is the most important to me. just so then i can use the standard parts off the later models with the discs already

a5150nut
02-15-2004, 17:16
I've been looking into this for my 94. New style rears are about like hens teeth. I was told I could change backing plates and drums to switch to 3 1/2 x 13 instead of 2 1/2 x 13 drum brakes. Still chaseing part numbers to know for shure.

Then there is a place in LA (search under Dana Axels) that will build a Dana 60, 70, or 80 to fit with disk or any type brake you want. I think they started at $1500. The afer market kits use front rotors and if you want parking brake they use Cadilac calipers (major POS).

The other option is a drive line disk parking brake. But, they arn't all that reliable.... :eek:

Sorry, just noticed you should already have 3 1/2 in brakes......been a long day?

barebackjake
02-15-2004, 17:49
yeah i have the 3.5" on there
its currie enterprizes that makes the danas with discs. thoose are just meant for 4x4 trucks and jeeps nothing this heavy. 12k gvw 14' box van, want to go to a larger gm type disc like whats on the late model duallys. big 4 piston calipers, want to get them in front too. they have a parking brake setup in the middle of the rotor like a drum setup. but my insurance company and OSHA requires that i chock my wheels when its parked anyway so thats not a real big concern to me. just need to find out if its the same axle thats on the 97 thats on the 2001