PDA

View Full Version : Prostart on my 6.5

windycreek
10-12-2005, 16:11
Help! I just installed a prostart 3200 on my 1995 GMC 6.5 turbo diesel. The truck is equiped with a L480E heavy duty automatic and is a 4x4. The auto start works fine, doorlocks done with relays but somehow I am getting a voltage spike/drop in the system which is affecting my transmission. Whenever I start the truck with the prostart or use the locks the truck throws a DTC 81 - 2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit, DTC 82 - 1-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit and DTC 83 - TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Fault. I can clear the codes start the truck with key and drive without throwing any codes. Hit the lock/unlock or start buttons and it will throw codes again. Can Anybody help me on this.

diesel65
10-12-2005, 17:49
Recheck your wiring, sounds like you missed a ignition wire that feeds the trans fuse.
Do a quick check, I think fuse #20 supplies power to the trans solenoids, with a test light see that the test light lights up when using the prostart.

Barry Nave
10-13-2005, 00:49
prostart 3200

Is there any auto start system out that will allow longer glow cycles?

JohnC
10-13-2005, 05:36
What Diesel65 said. There is a separate circuit in the ignition switch for the trans. It comes on when the key is taken out of the "lock" position. (Note gear range indicator comes on). The PCM checks the voltage on the solenoids at power up and if it doesn't like what it sees it sets those codes and locks the trans in second gear.

restoguy
10-16-2005, 21:15
Let me get this straight. You have a remote start that allows for your glow cycle? If this is true, I'll brick in my pants. I have wanted a remote start ever since I got my 6.5L. I just assumed that nobody made one that would wait on the glow plugs. Please clear this up for me! Sorry for jumping in like a socially retarded friend on this conversation. Just couldn't believe what I was reading!

DennisG01
10-17-2005, 03:24
Mine allows for the glow cycle, as well. I'd have to check at home to see exactly who the manufacturer is, though. However, I also had the same shift solenoid codes come up. I have it disconnected right now, but maybe with the above info I can put it back together! (I didn't put in myself, a local shop did).

TJ
10-17-2005, 04:13
I did a rather large write up on remote starts a while back...do a search, check it out. Make sure you are connecting to the white wire at your ignition as a "second ignition." This guy needs to be fired up just as an ignition to allow power to all functions of the tranny. If you don't power this white wire, you'll get all kinds of funny codes. It may be possible your system doesn't have a 2nd igntion feature. Please verify this. You'll also need to power the orange wire at the ignition as well to get your heater to work. ;)

TJ
1998 GMC K2500 GEP 6.5L I/C

windycreek
10-17-2005, 17:09
Yes the system does have a switch which waits for the glow plugs to turn off. The White wire was the culprit. I should say the White and Pink wire. Some trucks its white, some its White/pink
The downloadable info for installing these units is very vague on second ignition and accessory wires. The unit has a second power/accy/crank wire which can be used for any of these. It works great now. Thanx

TJ
10-18-2005, 03:27
Good to hear! I'm having a bit of a problem for mine to recognize a tach signal occasionally. The starter will stick on....I'm curious to hear what you say about your system.

TJ

windycreek
10-18-2005, 19:13
TJ the system works great. It has a tach learning procedure. The manual says that if the starter is still running on after going through this learning sequence twice, use a different tach signal source. I am currently using the alternator (White wire at alt) as the tach source it works good. The system is a Prostart 3200 from Canadian Tire, costs $75.00 Canadian!

CDH