PDA

View Full Version : Best access to downpipe?

Steve O.
10-17-2004, 17:47
When you go to remove the downpipe, is it easier to go in from the wheelwell or to take out the airbox and move the turbo? Or, none of the above? Obviously from below does not work.

As always, thanks.

Steve

CareyWeber
10-17-2004, 19:27
Originally posted by Steve O.:
When you go to remove the downpipe, is it easier to go in from the wheelwell or to take out the airbox and move the turbo? Or, none of the above? Obviously from below does not work.

As always, thanks.

Steve I went through the wheel well when I did mine.

Use lots of anti-seize when reassembling it.

Carey

[ 10-19-2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: CareyWeber ]

john8662
10-17-2004, 21:11
I did mine from the top. I removed the air box completly from the vehicle and turbo. Then I took the two bolts that hold on the radiator recovery tank on the firewall out, removed the coolant sensor wire. Then moved the coolant tank out of the way leaving the hoses still connected, and not losing any coolant. You'll then have access to the clamp that connects the downpipe to the turbo. It's really not all that bad. I think you'll have the best success with a 1/4 inch rachet with a deep 11mm socket on it.

DennisG01
10-18-2004, 10:03
I did mine from the top. I removed the aluminum heat shield that surrounds the turbo, but nothing else. Moving the coolant tank would have made it easier, but it still wasn't that bad.

izak
10-18-2004, 10:48
You are putting another one in, right?

Then I would follow Johns procedure, except before you do anything, make sure you can get the crossover pipe bolts out and loosen all the exhaust hangers. I had to unbolt all my hangers (except the very last one over the wheel well) to get enough clearance to remove the downpipe. Taking the crossmember out gives you more room to manipulate - you *might* be able to get it out without removing it. The downpipe will come out easily after you get the clearance you need. Give it a little turn as it's coming out and it wont hang up on too much.

Steve O.
10-18-2004, 19:47
Thanks guys. I was worried the exhaust shop was going to make the downpipe removal a big problem based on an earlier conversation with the boss. But I gave them the printout of your responses (which the guy genuinely appreciated) and it went like a breeze.

Steve