PDA

View Full Version : New, rebuilt, used engine or...?

J54 Mark
02-14-2004, 16:38
It's decision time. Unless somebody here wants a deal on a '94 Chevy 1500 Z71 extended cab 4X4 here is S.W. Mo., I've got to do something about the powerplant.

I have 180,000 mi on my truck. I've only put on the last 50,000, and so far, my r&r has been the harmonic balancer pulley, and the injector pump module. The truck is almost exactly what I need for my purposes, and am strongly tempted to make it over into exactly what I need.

But how? At this point, I've got to have an engine. And while I'm at it, I want about 30 or 40 more hp for pulling my 5,000 lb. trailer. I don't want to drag race, and have no complaints about the power while not pulling. But I do want more grunt for these Ozark hills with the load tied on.

The choices appear to be 1) New GM engine. $8,000, or so, installed at a very fine local shop. 2) Diesel Depot rebuild. About $5000 with travel costs to GA, new exhaust, new intake. He promises an easy 30 hp. 3) ?? Any good suggestions?

One thing I've got to clarify is just what comes with these engines. I've got to think my injectors and glowplugs are on life support. Also, I know I've got a couple of rough teeth on the flywheel.

Of course, there's always the $35,000 Duramax option. If I had $35,000....

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Mark

john8662
02-14-2004, 16:46
hmm, what do you want for the truck, like I need another, bust just checking.

If it was me, there are several places to get an engine, most of the vendors here on TDP have options. Call The Diesel Depot, and get a quote on a stock rebuilt 6.5TD, then get a NON EGR intake manifold, exaust kit from Kennedy Diesel, and a chip from Kennedy to keep from generating codes from the lack of an EGR valve. Once you get all the parts gathered up, engine, intake, chip, exaust, have a local diesel shop install the engine, and all the goodies. Then you will have a really nice and powerfull truck, depending on the chip you use.

Engine $3500
Exaust $450
Chip $100
Flywheel $100
injectors $300 new
glowplugs $85
Intake (upper & Lower) $150
Engine install $500 (I don't know what they charge really)

Of course there are other things you will want to consider while having an engine built up, you will probably want the 97+ cooling upgrades (can be installed by the builder). Other things you will need for the engine install that will nickel and dime you, like new transmission seals (front, since your there) service the Trans and Transfercase, new engine mounts, flush the radiator, get the upgraded oil cooler lines (they are worth it). Things like that.

These prices are approximates

Thats my thoughts,

John

J54 Mark
02-14-2004, 16:57
"...then get a NON EGR intake manifold"

That is part of Diesel Depot's proposal. Don't know where they get their exhaust.

I did speak to Kennedy. If I recall, he builds his from new blocks?? I should have made notes. The big problem I have there is he doesn't install. My local shop is VERY reluctant to use anything but a new factory motor. Having turned wrenches myself, I know a couple of bad experiences will do that to you. Maybe I can twist his arm.... Not sure I want to, though.

And new chip, yes. Which means gauges. More expense (sigh).

Mark

C.K. Piquup
02-16-2004, 13:05
Kennedy Diesel does use the latest new blocks and his prices seemed very reasonable to me.Check his site.Don`t forget,18:1 is the only way to go with a rebuild.

Marty Lau
02-16-2004, 14:21
I may have missed it but what is wrong with the current engine? Is it major or minor? For a couple thousand you maybe get what you need done.

GARY PAGE
02-16-2004, 15:17
You raise a real valid question there that many of have a real time answering. The resale value on used trucks is way down now. You could sell the one you have a upgrade to a newer durmax model for not a lot more money than what you are going to spend fixing it + what you could sell it for. My 02 sell and buy a late model. If you love the truck and know how to work on it and enjoy that type of thing then, go for it; but you better really know what your doing, other wise unload now and move on.

Marty Lau
02-16-2004, 15:53
Gary, I understand what your saying but I'm not so sure your right. let say he can get 5-6K for his truck and $8,000 for new engine local thats about $14,000. Used Durabux 4X4 extended cab are about $22,000 and up. Now you can get 2wd and straight cabs for less. So if he need the extended and 4x4 it's at least plus $8,000 more so it will cost him atleast $16,000 out of pocket for a used Durabux, unless he wants to go with straight cab and or 2 wd.

I bet if the engine is still good, if he did:

Injectors $300
Glowplugs $100
Exhaust $400
Gauges $400
Chip $300
Turbo controler
$ 70
Hayden fan
clutch $175
clean & flush
raditor $150
----
total $1895

this would go along way to giving him power he looking for and won't break the bank and he should be pretty well set for awhile. (IP transmission is wild card) Also assumes he can do the work.

GARY PAGE
02-16-2004, 17:16
10-4 S-GA he must do the work him self and wife must understand! It would not be my primary mode of transport or he going to be stranded for a good while and she will start better than the truck evet will! If it all works out he's a hero other wise it heck to pay. As I said several factors play in to this and a shop and experence is key. My 02....

C.K. Piquup
02-16-2004, 17:53
To me,there`s more class in building a truck than buying one.It sure feels good droppin`new truck "buyer`s" jaws with my underdog `95 I "built".I did have another truck to drive while I built it,though.

J54 Mark
02-17-2004, 17:33
Thanks for all the ideas.

If someone is offering $5,000 for my truck AS IS, please write, call, phone, email, telegraph, immediately. You will own yourself a '94 K1500 Z71 extended cab AND fiberglass topper so fast it will make your head spin. I'm thinking $3500? Is that feasible? Or just trade it off as is?

Here is the problem: The area around the outer thread for the starter motor cracked. I had it nickel brazed, but in so doing it deformed the machined surface where the starter mounts. We can't get it to line up and stay aligned. I know of no solution for this.

And now I'm blowing coolant out of the overflow (head gasket?). And it has 180,000 mi., so likely EVERYTHING- injectors, glow plugs, injector pump, exhaust, maybe even turbo, is tired.

But I do like the truck. I like the step up height (no running boards needed), I like the ride, I like the comparative quiet of the motor, I like the fuel milage.

I am not afraid to run up lots of miles, and I too like the idea of building up something that meets my needs. Unfortunately, there is no way I have the room here to undertake a major project here. Nor do I really have time.

Kennedy - about $6,600 using new block. Diesel Depot - $3,500 for rebuilt from whatever or $2,000. GM - ~$7,000 for long block, ~$8200 for drop in engine including turbo. Plus $1,000 to install (with hoses, fluids, misc.).

I have no kick coming. I bought this truck for $8,000 less than any comparable Powerstroke, so even if I sunk another $8,000 I am no worse off.

But I gotta tell you, 0% financing for five years is pretty attractive.

Mark

C.K. Piquup
02-17-2004, 18:11
Peninsular 300hp/MFI complete:$8,400.Keeping it EFI less $$.