PDA

View Full Version : BNave, to answer your questions...

DChristie
10-10-2005, 17:43
Loose nut here,
Please forgive me for the slow response to your questions,

I started a new post here, because I didn't want to hijack the other...

So, my wvo system is a little number I built all by my onesies. Using adaptations of "From the Frier to the Fuel Tank" by Joshua Tickell.

I start it up on petro and then switch to wvo.
I tapped into the heater hose post heater. (At first I tried going pre-heater but I never could get hot air into the cab, even in Houstons mild winters).
I run a copper vo-fuel-line inside a 1" heater hose. There is also a 25'.625"id copper coil heater inside the 80 gallon tank I made.
I coiled 5' of the same copper tubing around a 10 micron "rock-catcher" filter (it's actually a spin-on type filter for hydraulic oil) I had to heat it because I was losing filtering capacity to congealed oil. This is also the low point in the system and collects any condensate/water.
The return line teflon/nylon is not heated at all.
I use an aftermarket $35.00 (5-9 psi) lift pump to move the wvo (dpdt switch tied into the factory pump.) to the switching valve at the IP.

Lets see, pathway stuff: Hot coolant flows out of the heater, along the wvo line, around the rock-catcher, into the tank coil, and then back into the radiator almost cold.
The 80 gallon tank can get too hot to touch fast.

wvo gravity drains into the rock-catcher, then is sucked out into the cheapo pump and sent to the switching valve throught the heated copper line.
I added a temp gauge just before the oil hits the IP. If it is too hot I shut it off. I've already fried one IP running wvo. (no pun intended) Hot Houston day, and a traffic jam! :mad:

I can go about 1100 miles on one tank, I don't use it around Houston, because it's all short trips. (I estimate I have to drive 8 miles to fully purge the wvo out of the system) so I use it going to see my brother in New Mexico or up into Wyoming or Montana, roadtrips are best, let it settle in and run. I have pulled with it. That was cool, 4k trailer, truck rattlin' quieter because the oil lubes it up good, and all for free, smellin' like barbeque.

The down sides are heat control, and chunky fuel. It also put me off of fried foods for about a year. :rolleyes: Refueling can take several hours, just trying to find a "clean" supply of oil. Actual fill time; hand crank pump will fill my tank in about 15 minutes. good workout. messy. gets behind your ears. :D

I think total, I spent about $300.00 on my system. worth every penny. smile.gif

Thanks for asking

DChristie

Barry Nave
10-11-2005, 02:25
Thanks LOSE NUT :D
Heated tank using Coolent,have not thought of that. Been looking in to coolent fuel line heater. Many on E-Bay and simple to build.
The hardest for me so far is finding good WVO.
So many seem to be using what is called "Creamy frying oil". To date I've only found two sorces that use SVO. My system needs to be able to run short uses.
When switching, I'd have the solenoid closer to injection pump filter for less run time on diesel. A way to keep tank heated and WVO flowing through system during shut down.
Probley a bad time to try out WVO with Indana winter though making it work when cold then warm weather would be simple.
Truck is parked in heated shop. May spend more time on the making of Bio WVO for my area.
Do have space for such a system in a heated area.
"Once I knew nothing about diesel"