PDA

View Full Version : 200 amp CS-144 Alternator

Billman
09-26-2004, 16:37
Has anybody tried a CS-144 alternator?

I've got one mounted, minus the rear bracket.

Just need to hook up the two wires to the harness, and change the belt.

norm
09-26-2004, 18:48
I have not upgraded my alternator, but think you might want to beef your wiring to handle the hotter amperage, if you haven't already.

Dan Nicholas
10-02-2004, 05:32
Billy,

I have a little different situation, but have installed a 2nd alternator that is a single wire 200 amp (if your interested, I'll get you the part # and manufacturer). The difference is that my 2nd alternator is a total separate electrical system. It doesn't run current through the regular truck system. I use it to charge a bank of camper batteries.

The point of my response is to let you know dual alternators were an option on my 96 truck...I think in 97 also (you'd have to verify). If you have air conditioning you'd have to buy an additional bracket and a pulley total approx. $100. With the dual alternators, you'd get 200 amps and redundancy. If one failed, you'd still be able to charge.

If dual alternators were an option for your year, I don't think you'd have to worry about the truck wiring and the 200 amps. A great point made by Norm, but I'd be surprised if GM offered the 2nd Alternator option then upgraded the truck wiring if you ordered it. It wouldn't hurt to verify for safety reasons.

I'm not necessarily suggesting the dual alt would be better for you (simplicity vs redundancy -> personal call). However, if you're interested, email me and I'll look for the Autozone belt part number I used. NAPA and GM wanted a small ransom for their dual alt belts $75+ and forward any other specifics you'd need.

markrinker
10-02-2004, 05:46
Can you post a picture of your setup? I would be interested in a second alternator, isolating one battery for starting/accessories on the stock alternator, and 2nd battery for snow plow operation.

Dan Nicholas
10-02-2004, 06:22
lol, Mark, I see you have concerns about my motorhome quest.

Forwarding pictures isn't a problem. I don't have a webpage or see a way to attached them to the post. If I'm missing something, let me know.

Otherwise, I've included my email in the signature. Just email me and take some pictures and I'll respond with any other info you want.

HowieE
10-02-2004, 07:49
Mark

You might check your idea of one battery for starting out before you commit to it. Remove one ground line from one of your batteries and try and start the truck I think you will find it just will not work let alone when it realy gets cold.

markrinker
10-02-2004, 08:16
Howie -

Probably true. Maybe I should leave the two underhood (starting) batteries, and isolate the plow system to two bed mounted deep cycle/RV batteries.

When you plow alot, its possible to slowly drain the batteries and really tax the alternator. The problem is that you tend to use EVERYTHING on the truck to the max when its snowing hard (radio blasting, heater fan on hi, aux amber light bar going, windshield wipers hi, rear defrost on, etc..)

Billman
10-02-2004, 15:28
Thanks for the info, Dan. I'm aware that dual alternators were an option on our trucks, but figured it would be easier with 1 alt with big output.

I asked the question because I figured the 'Snow Plow' Guys or even Volunteer Firemen who require more amperage would have conquered this task already.

By no means do I really need 200 amps. I saw the opportunity and just jumped on it. Kind of a 'Saw it - Gotta have it' deal. I also considered the possibility of removing 1 battery to make room for a custom cold air intake, but like Howie said, Cold weather starting may become a problem.

As far as what Norm said, I'm not too concerned about the wiring. I don't think I'll test 200 amps. What I've seen these alts do is put more amperage out at a lower RPM compared to the CS130 model.

I'm really looking for the small gains here. Possibly making my headlights a bit brighter after the headlight upgrade. Maybe even putting a little more voltage to my WMI pump for more pressure. Once again, nothing I really 'need'.

Thanks again for the input...

Dan Nicholas
10-03-2004, 03:02
Yup, I hear ya Bill...I've done many "gotta haves" also.

Folks, for what it's worth I have 2 starting batteries and 4 aux deep cycle batteries mounted in the bed of the truck. 2 in front of the wheel wells and 2 behind. In these positions,you can still fit sheets of plywood etc. The 2nd charging system (200 amp alt) charges the aux batts.

You may not need 4, but just a thought regarding location if you need more reserve.

Dan Nicholas
10-03-2004, 03:31
Forgot one other thing...being an RVer for many years now, I've tried many deep cycle batteries. If anyone is thinking about aux batts for plowing etc. I'd suggest considering the 6v golf cart batteries. You need room for 2 to achieve 12 volts, but I've found them to last longer while offering more sustained current.