PDA

View Full Version : Transmission and other help needed

AJ650
02-11-2004, 02:54
Now that I've had some time to cool down since my tranny started belching fluid and losing gears, I've decided to hang on to my truck. But I need some help to make it work.

Checking with my local parts CO. I'm told they don't have a listing for a 4L80E with the 6.5. I have a '93 2500 4wd, it has a 4L80E correct?
For that particular tranny they have listings for 6 and 7 inch output shaft. Which one is used?
For obvious reasons I don't want to order the wrong tranny.

I have been suffering from next to impossible starts since the cold weather set in, even with the truck plugged in. I'm assuming I need a few new GP's or the controller. What is a good type of GP to use, and what's the best price I will find?

Lastly, I've got about 170k on the odometer. Should the injectore be replaced? The truck has poor power. I'm amazed at the posts of people towing 10k pound trailers. My boat only weighs around 3k and it's more than it can handle on a steep hill. Lots of heat. The engine smokes on startup on cold days (after a few minutes cranking) and never smokes while running. I've got good boost, up to 15 lbs with heavy throttle. No IC at the moment, but I have a custom install in the works.

A new engine is on the list, but will be a few months before I can afford it. I would like to be able to use the truck before then.

Any help would be appreciated.

Marty Lau
02-12-2004, 09:40
AJ650;
You have gotten plenty of life from your injectors. It is suggested to change then every 75,000 to 100,000 miles. I got my new injectors form US Diesel (Gomers) and they checked my old ones for free since I had bought the new from them. I had 155,000 miles on them and they told me the 3 worked ok but 5 were not working well, intermittent pattern of spray and stream. If your gettting a bunch of black smoke, poor power and decreased MPG these are all indication you should change injectors. You might check your compression if you still have good compression I would not think about getting a new engine? What is your oil usage, are you using more oil than you did a couple years ago?
I was kind of in your situation late in 2003 other than my transmission was not cratered. I put a couple thousand bucks into the truck and hope to run it too 300,000 miles. I felt the basic engine was in good shape but I need to do a bunch of things to make it last and few nice things (gages and chip). I serviced transmission, changed all hoses, did cooling upgrades, timing geras and chain, injectors and glow plugs, had raditor flushed and small leak fixed at ratior shop cleaned a/c condesor and transmission and oil coolers, gages, chip, Hayden Server duty fan clutch, PMD Issolator. Truck now runs super and power is restored. So you might think about it.

PS where in the world are you located?