PDA

View Full Version : Help

TurboDiverArt
09-25-2004, 15:13
Hi All,

I got a new bearing from NAPA the other day. Tonight I looked at the compressor as my mechanic friend said to replace the bearing to remove the 13mm bolt and then using 2 screwdrivers carefully pry the clutch off. Then remove the snap-ring and pull off the pulley. The bearing can be pressed out of the pulley and replaced.

Here

rjschoolcraft
09-25-2004, 15:43
There is no nut. You need a special puller to remove the clutch without tearing it up. The threaded shaft is used to anchor a tool to push things back together. I had mine apart about two months ago.

Hye
09-25-2004, 19:27
Be very careful to keep metal filings out of the clutch mechanism. They are attracted to the magnetic parts and will cause premature clutch failure.

TurboDiverArt
09-26-2004, 02:04
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
There is no nut. You need a special puller to remove the clutch without tearing it up. The threaded shaft is used to anchor a tool to push things back together. I had mine apart about two months ago. I think someone said you can get the tool at NAPA? Where did you get yours. Do you need a special tool to put it on as well or is it the same tool?

Now that I'm thinking about it, I assume that's why the clutch is threaded on the inner portion.

Thanks,
Art.

rjwest
09-26-2004, 03:49
Same tool, for remove and install.

Napa should have tool. The cheap ones are only
good for a few " easy " jobs.

Try Pep Boys, or some of the other Parts store's

Pep boys has " Loaner ' tools, you buy it with intent to return.

If I rember , there are some " Swages holding the
bearing in place ( Peaned metal ) if you
cut them out with SMALL chisel and clean the area out where bearing is,
the bearing comes out much easier...

Also Clean real good with emory be for re install,
" Freeze bearing " should go in easy.

I did not have a press....

Also I would suggest inspecting Cluth for loose/elongated rivets/cracks.

My Clutch broke a rivet, jamed up pully .
Had to chisel it off to get home..