PDA

View Full Version : 97 cooling upgrades

lupey6.5
02-10-2004, 05:43
can you install the 130gpm water pump before you change the crossover to the dual t-stat housing

DBlake
02-10-2004, 05:54
Yes, I have been running that way for some time. I do plan to put in the dual set up this spring, but I towed last summer with the HCWP and the single stat set up without problems. I have read the HCWP increases coolant flow throught the heads over 20% and the dual stats increase radiator flow up to 9% when fully opened.

Marty Lau
02-10-2004, 08:11
Lupey;
If you change the water pump consider changing the timing gears and chain with either new gears and chain or the idler gear set up. You have to remove the pump to get at them so you 3/4 there.

lupey6.5
02-10-2004, 13:05
how hard is it to pull the harmonic balancer and if i change the timing chain do i need a shop to reset my timing?

Barry Nave
02-10-2004, 14:57
The new pump and duel cross over works differnt then the single cross over.
It has to do with the cross over and how the buy pass works to the block.
Single works different then Duel, How the flow works through the blocks.
Look at how different the single T-stat is to the one that work's on the duel's
My 2c
The high flow pump could work though the cross over { single} , Duel setup was to get more coolent by pass through the block.
#8 cyl was the # 1 issue ;)

Marty Lau
02-10-2004, 14:59
Lupey;
I bought a harmonic balancer puller at Checker Auto for like $15 and it came off easy with that.
We scribed a mark on the pump and block matched up on install. I had the timing checked after and it was right on factory recomondation. I think the whole time gear chain kit at CarQuest was like $136. If your carefull you should be real close on the timing. Just be sure to line up your timing marks and it should be no problem.

lupey6.5
02-10-2004, 19:35
so I can use the single tstat crossover with a different style tstat installed. Which one? Do i just have to match up some diameters along with desired temp. I know what you are saying about the way the single crossover tstat restricts the water flow from the water pump.

Barry Nave
02-10-2004, 19:50
On the single stat, you have to stay with it.
The single stat is different style.
When the single stat opens it closes the bye pass to the block. so all coolent goes to rad.
On duel stat the bye pass back to block is open even when the stst opens.

Marty Lau
02-11-2004, 08:18
Lupey;
If you need a new single thermostat I have a 190 degree GM I bought from Heath which I couldn't use after I melted the single crossover trying to get the quick disconect out. I think it was like $22 I'll send it too you for $10. BTW, change the quick disconect they are a week point I would put a brass hose barb with a piece of 5/8 heater hose and clamps. Thats what I end up doing when I changed to the dual thermostats. The hose barb is like $2 the quick disconect is a dealer only item and about $8.
PS how about telling a bit about what type of 6.5 you have.
PSS: Be sure to clean out the raditor have it flushed and check by a good raditor shop and clean out the AC condensor and transmission cooler and oil cooler.

lupey6.5
02-11-2004, 17:06
i changed the quick disconnect a few years ago when the aluminum pipe in it started spraying the motor i also opted for the threaded nipple than a dealer part. also i was lucky to get to a napa where i was. You also asked about my truck. its a '94 1500 blazer,z71 suspension pkg.,6.5td,4l80e trans,3.73 gears,homade intake w/hood vent,turbo master boost control,boost&pyro gauges where the stock radio face was,3"monster downpipe,custom 3"pipe from there out/no muff,3" body lift,33x12.5 dunlops,10x15 alloys

Marty Lau
02-12-2004, 07:55
Lupey;
Sounds like a nice outfit, you have done several good upgrades too it! Like I said if you want that GM thermostat it's yours for a $10 bill, it's best to use either a GM or Robert Shaw others don't open enough to get proper flow.

lupey6.5
02-12-2004, 09:42
i'm not sure why it would not be benifical to use a different style tstat. doesen't the 97-up cooling system use normal tstats? i don't understand why it would be better to have the oem reverse pop restricting flow until it opens. please clarify. could you drill some holes in the little plate to allow a little more without negative consequences? otherwise i should get that tstat from you. Why can't you buy 180deg anymore?

lupey6.5
02-12-2004, 19:03
any help? anyone

BuffaloGuy
02-13-2004, 08:38
Nope, the '97 up uses the high flow variety. Some parts houses will show a regular tstat for it but they are wrong. I out regulars tstats in and when ever the rpms and load got up there the motor would get hot. Found the right stats and no more problems.

Barry Nave
02-13-2004, 10:52
lupey
It's better, go with the cooling up grade.
Go for the DGS, It's just money ;)
Really it work's
One time deal, it's done ;)